RS250A, raises a lot of temperature and heat

Dear Friends, it is a pleasure to greet you.

On this occasion, I want to comment that my Hifi Rose - RS250A, which I bought a couple of weeks ago, raises a lot of temperature when used.

I don’t use the equipment to connect to the Internet; My only purpose is for it to function as a DAC with display to play from an external USB hard drive.

I await your comments, to know if this is normal, or if I should adjust some settings.

Note: I use the equipment on weekends, and when it is not used, I disconnect it from the power and it remains completely off.

Greetings from Buenos Aires, Argentina.
José.

Just how hot does it get?

If it is getting really hot, I am afraid something might be wrong. My 250, even after prolonged use, with a network connection, gets barely warm. Even a 520, with an actual power amp inside, does not get hot to the point of it being troublesome…

Boris.

Thanks for the reply.

When you tell me something is wrong, what do you mean, or what do you think might be happening?

Greetings, José.

I don’t know what might be wrong, but I would not expect a 250 sitting out in the open, well-ventilated, to get hot enough to be concerning. Depends on just how hot it gets, I guess.

What are your analog output settings? Are you powering the hard drive from Rose, or does it have its own power supply?

Boris.

I connect the hard drive directly to the USB3 input, which the Rs250A has; The equipment itself is responsible for giving energy to the disk.

Regarding the configuration you mention, you can see it in the photo; According to my audio setup, one of the Hifi Rose engineers advised me to use that configuration, however, since day one I have raised the temperature.

The system sounds wonderful, nothing to complain about regarding the sound quality.

Thanks for your time, Jose.

Sound quality should be as good as it gets (well, if you like tube sound anyway). I am running mine at higher output level, and while it does heat up above ambient temperature eventually, it’s warm to the touch, but not hot. Powering a hard drive from the USB port would add a bit more power, but it should not heat it up excessively either. So, just how hot does it get?

Boris.

It is a considerable temperature level, compared to my previous equipment.

I was thinking about buying some of those portable cooling fans, which are no larger than the diameter of a CD, and placing it at a distance of 20 cm, seeing what happens.

José

Well, I don’t think it should be heating up to any considerable degree where you start worrying about it…

Long time ago I did have an old super-receiver sitting in an enclosed cabinet, so I also rigged a fan that would turn on when the receiver was powered on and sucked air out. Worked pretty well.

You probably want to use larger, but slower fan, it will be quieter when moving the same volume of air.

I’m running mine at 2000 mv and it gets a little warm. When I touch the top after a few hours of use, it’s a nice warm temperature, definitely not hot. Not even to the sensitive inside of my wrist where I used to test the baby’s milk temperature. I’ve got a surface thermometer somewhere in the attic. I’ll try and dig it up and measure the top after a few hours.
Putting a fan in your listening room doesn’t seem like the best idea after you’ve gone through all the trouble of making your system sound so good.

Hello everyone!

Thanks for the suggestions and good vibes!
Greetings from Buenos Aires.

José.

Hello Jose,

have you solved your temperature problem?

I was just on the category and did a test with my RS520.

*I have to say that I listen to quadraphonic sound and use two pairs of speakers in parallel for R/L with a load resistance of 10 ohms…

My room temperature today is on average 23/24C and my Rose has been running from 4:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. and not every day (I also have to work) but on average 6 hours a day since I bought it.

Thermometer has now been on the rose for 2 hours…

See pictures.

*You will know Ohm’s law and also parallel and series connections. :v:t2:

1 Like

Hello Bonte, how are you!
Until today, I have not had that problem again.

Since the last 2 updates of all the software, everything works great!

Thanks for remembering!

Hi José…I’m feeling pretty good physically. Now my ears are full from hearing so much music. Watch Apple TV+ now.

Glad that everything is running smoothly for you now.

Nice part of the N30SA…but there are worlds of money between me and the device.

Have a nice evening and stay healthy.

:v:t2:

1 Like

Thanxs!
Have a nice week and enjoy it!

My RS250A operates at 36 C / 98 F. This was measured after operating for 4 hours. My Onkyo 200 wpc amp and Schiit Gungnir DAC operate at a higher temperatures.

I just got an RS250A. Mine also gets quite hot when I’m using it. It’s more than warm to the touch. The only thing I use it for is playing CDs through a USB interface. I’ve never had a piece of solid-state gear get that hot.

It’s on a shelf in a cabinet, but there’s about 5" clearance on each side, about 8" clearance in the rear and top.

What I’m going to do is unplug the optical drive and leave the unit playing “radio” for some hours. We’ll see what that does.

I unplugged the optical drive, turned off the “power to USB during standby,” and left it with the radio streaming. The unit got just as hot.

I’ll have to assume it won’t melt or set fire to my house.