Software volum control - RS250A

Hi @ROSEHAN / @ROSELOA

If I use the RS250A as a pre-amp and switch on the Software Volume Control, it introduce a quite audiable hiss when music is playing and the volume is set to minimum 1.

I have testet it with two devices, and it’s the same on both of them.

It only appears if I stream (I’m using Spotify Connect), not when the TV is connected to the RS250A trough optical.

If I turn the Software Volume Control off, the hiss dissappear, but I have to turn the volume quite up when listening to music/using any source compared to when it’s on. I.e.: volume 20 when the feature is on is around 40 when it’s off.

@Kjetil-A

If you are using the RS250a as a preamplifier, there is no point in turning the software volume control function OFF because the software volume control function was created to control digital volume.

Is it a problem that you hear a hissing sound when you play music on Spotify connect with the software volume control function turned on?
If so, we need to check for the corresponding symptoms.
But is there a reason to use the RS250a at a low volume setting?
Usually, it is used by setting it according to the output of RS250a and the impedance of the amplifier.

Hi, and thanks for your qiuck reply @ROSEHAN

Yes, the problem is the hiss when the software volume control is on, and using spotify connect. It starts, and are quite loud, already when the volume is set to 1. The hissing noise is loud enough to hear over the music at volumes even up to 40 (I have not tried beyond that because it gets to loud).

@rosehan, have you been able to take a further look at this?

@Kjetil-A

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Please confirm one thing.

Are you using RS250a connected to a power amplifier? If so, if you use the volume between 1 and 10, noise may occur because the amplification is very high.

Yes, I can confirm that it is connected to a power amplifier. My understanding now is that the input gain on the power amplifier is a bit to high (31db), and together with a high output gain on the Rose it results in a loud hiss noise. If I adjust the volume on the Spotify output on the Rose down about 10db, the hiss dissappear.