Software Volum Control

Does anybody know exactly what the Software Volume Control do? I’m experimenting with some of the speaker out controls/features, and it seems like the output is a little less with this feature on, and that the sound gets a little bit warmer/rounder (I like how it sounds). But I have no idea what the feature actually does.

@Kjetil-A

-Software volume control-

Some USB DACs support UAC2 volume control, while others support HID volume control. In this case, when you adjust the volume on the Rose, the volume command is sent to the DAC to control the volume. If this feature is not supported, you can enable software volume control in the USB DAC settings in the I/O settings, and then adjust the volume via the Rose App.

Caution 1. It cannot be used in Native DSD or DSD over PCM mode. It is applied after changing to DSD to PCM(upto DSD128) mode.
Caution 2. For digital output, MQA Stream is supported only when the volume is MAX. If it is less than MAX, MQA Stream is not supported.

@ROSEHAN , thanks! I don’t have a usb dac connected, and the volume control I’m talking about is located under speaker out. Are they the same features, or does the one under speaker out settings do anything else?

I just received my RS130 and am setting it up with a Classe Delta Pre preamplifier over USB. I am noticing whether I have software volume control turned on or off, adjusting the Rose volume will turn the Delta Pre volume up and down. I don’t plan on using the Rose volume control, but I do want to ensure that the Delta Pre is getting the full signal to process for all file types. Is there a way to simply bypass the Rose volume control in this case?

Edit: I have noticed that if I leave software volume control off and just leave the Rose volume at zero, it’ll seemingly output a full volume signal. Compared to my previous streamer the volume level on my pre-amp equates to at least the same actual sound coming from the speakers.

@Jaceleiva

We’ll answer your questions.

1. If Software Volume Control is On, turn it Off.
  2. If Software Volume Control is Off, there is no way to bypass it right now. We plan to check this phenomenon and add options.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have volume control off and volume all the way down now. The only inconvenience is that it forces my pre-amp to start with the volume all the way down. I can simply turn it up, but the Delta Pre has very small volume steps, so just a minor nuisance to get it up. I’ll look forward to an update to bypass the Rose volume control altogether.

One side note that might be relevant as you research a fix, is that after I do get the pre amp volume up, if I click the volume up, even one time, it takes control of the pre amp volume again bringing it back down to line up with the Rose volume until I either turn the Rose volume up, or take control again at the pre-amp. Thanks again.