Static IP Ethernet Bug

It looks like configuring the Ethernet interface using a static IP address instead of DHCP causes a buffering issue when using RoseTube and maybe other network activities.

I have confirmed that using DHCP with either WI-FI or Ethernet, RoseTube 4K videos are properly buffered for proper playback. If I configure Ethernet to use a static IP address, 4K videos may halt when the buffer is fully exhausted.

I can see the progress bar when using DHCP has a good advanced buffer (gray bar ahead of the play bar) for smooth playback. Using a static address, the same videos seem to play with no buffer and may halt during playback while it tries to catch up.

@ROSEHAN @ROSELOA Can you guys confirm the playback buffering issue when using a static TCP/IP address?

@Manny What if you reserve an IP by registering the Rose MAC address for so the fixed IP is issued by your DHCP server (router)?

Thanks Colin @Woorlord. That’s what I was doing - reserving an IP address.

For some strange reason, it looks like when the RS150B is using a static/fixed IP address, the unit does not buffer like it does when using DHCP (dynamically assigned IP address). This makes no sense, but I have duplicated the issue several times.

Yesterday, when using the DHCP assigned address, all of the RoseTube videos worked properly with no pauses due to buffer overruns. You can see this clearly by watch the video progress while playing. I have 1Gb internet. 4K videos on YouTube/RoseTube will have a buffer in front of the progress bar so the the video does not stop if the stream is slowed. That buffer is apparent when using DHCP and there is no buffer when using a static IP address.

Hi Colin @Woorlord
I think I misunderstood your suggestion. I had reserved an IP address above the DHCP range and was using a static IP address on the RS150B.

After rereading your suggestion, I did switch to a reserved IP address on the router using the RS150B’s MAC address and still setting the RS150B as DHCP. That works - thanks! That allows me to have a “static” IP address which makes it easier to configure access from other devices while addressing the buffer “bug” when using a static IP address on the RS150B.