The list of compatible CD transports and CD Drives with HiFi Rose units?

Is there any list of compatible CD Transports and CD drives with HiFi Rose?
I’ve tried Technics SL-G700 , Oppo 205 , Oppo 105D ,Pioneer CDJ 2000 NXS2 and Marantz UD7007. HiFi Rose doesn’t recognize them as external CD drive.

Let’s create the list of compatible units .

It seems you misunderstand a few things and throw some technical basics around.

1. the cd player app and the cd ripping app are only for usb drives which are connected via usb directly to the rose device. I tried my TEAC drive and a Samsung external drive - both of them are recognized correctly, playing audio and ripping function works…

2. If you wanna connect external devices wich are capable playing cds, connect them via chinch. in this case you have to control the external player functions via remote control of this device - and not via hifi rose device oder the related rose app.

I’m asking about CD transports and external drives for CD ripping .

Not interested about Playing CD/ SACD / MQA Discs thru HiFi Rose
My Oppo 205 and Technics SL-G700 are connected directly to Technics SU-R1000 via optical as CD Transports.

“chinch”? I’m guessing that’s misspelled, since Websters define a chinch as “a plant-eating ground bug that forms large swarms on grasses and rushes”.

Could you clarify? Did you perhaps mean to say you connected the CD players using coax cables (though, if you have figured out how to connect using insects , that would be very cool).

chinch is old fashion RCA connector…

2 Likes

I think Rob is asking to publish, External CD drives that are capable of working with Rose streamers so that customers can rip music from those drives directly to Rose HD or similar…
Its good idea since we all got so many PC drives and stand alone music CD players.

you can connect any usb connectable cd drive. i tried my TEAC CD Drive and a SAmsung BD writer… woth are recognized on RS250 to play and rip music discs.

But I Cant say anything about the accouracy of the ripped tracks (accourate rip). I prefer to rip my discs with dbpoweramp and tag them by hand

Yes ,that’s exactly , the list of external drives and Cd transports (audiophile) :slight_smile:

The question, if the Rose CD playback/rip function is able to recognize different offsets of different disc drives is much more interresting than a list of disc drives.

If the Rose software is able to recognize dynamic parameters like

• Sample offset
  • drive cache (differs from drive to drive)
  • optional needed spinup time
  • invert left right channel (some drives do that, others are correct)
  • De-emphasis to cd tracks
  • how it handles copy protected discs with 2 sessions on it(are not part of cd standard)
    (great idea, i will try to playback and rip copy protected discs to the rs250 to see whats happening :slight_smile: )
    If the software can handle such things, you can use your prefered usb driven cd drive to create high quality rips. but the question if the rose software can use accourate rip checksum, secure rip etc. is still open…

if not, then the cd functionality is focussed on the Rose CD drive in the first place because the rose devs and engeneers know the capabilities of the rose disc drive and the software (playback and ripping) is focussed on this device behavior…

I’ve never heard of an RCA connector called anything except an RCA connector. Though I wonder if he meant to type “cinch”, not chinch (CINCH connector - introduced by the Radio Corporation of America in 1940s. Also known as RCA).

Learned something new. Thx

Its a typo error, but meaning is same…

Maybe because a cd transport for playing audio is not the same as an optical drive for reading files?

A cd transport puts out a an s/p-dif signal which is an alternating stream of blocks of left and right plus which is which. That is not your regular WAV computer file. It just pees out the stream without looking back.

A USB optical transport gets a request, looks up the data, asks if it’s correct, then proceedes to the next block. If not it tries again. Untill your file is correctly transferred.

The Rose streamer is a computer. Did you ever try those CD transports on a PC. That doesn’t work either does it. Not without a special soundcard.

There is no high end in computing. It’s just 1’s and 0’s and if your checksum checks out you’ve got them all.

So, connect your cheap Amazon usb optical drive and start ripping without any hassle or jitter or any of those pesky obsolete CD problems.

You might get a lot of noise with the cheap drives. The ROSE drive is solidly built and has a screen cable

While cheap drives might have more trouble accurately reading reading bad/scratched/damaged disks, this is purely data transfer, not even USB Audio transfer. When ripping, whatever data was read off of the disk will be delivered to the Rose as a bit-perfect copy, and noise does not come into the picture in any way.

Although I would rip to the Rose directly only as th last resort. Using dbPowerAmp or EAC or something like that on the computer gives you much more control over both handling disk read errors and assigning correct metadata to ripped tracks.

Buy a good quality external USB DVD drive since they support all the formats.