These comments are from Stereophile Magazine

Traces of the RS520’s Koreanness surfaced occasionally. Tap on the RosePodcast icon and then on Genres, and you get a screenful of Hangul characters (the Korean alphabet). RoseFM attempts to pull in Korean stations as the factory default, although changing that to the US or another country is trivial. One of the icons on the display is for launching Bugs, an unfortunately named pay-to-play Asian streaming service headquartered in South Korea. Tapping the icon results in a message that says “It is not a service area.”

Ah, language quirks. At times, the HiFi Rose RS520 reminded me of the Russian translator in the movie Tetris, who tries out her best English on an American businessman in Moscow. “Do you require succor?” she chirps, offering her assistance. “Esteemed to meet you!” We know what she means even if the choice of words isn’t impeccable.

Because HiFi Rose is an engineering-centric company (footnote 8), niceties like translation and spelling sometimes seem to get short shrift. On the RS520, linguistic quirks were never particularly enigmatic, but perfection is a ways off. When connecting to Bluetooth, the message you get is the slightly off-kilter “Execute [Bluetooth] to search for available devices.” The screen that lets you choose among three font sizes for streaming music says, by way of instruction, “Enlarge a Playback information.” Even the company’s official English-language website (footnote 9) states, “Before the sudden change, the tool until yesterday is meaningless.” Jon Derda says HiFi Rose has been “making small changes with each iteration of [the RS520’s] firmware (footnote 10), to Americanize the product further.”

1 Like

The comments from Stereophile highlight some of the translation issues which most Rose users are aware of. I’m sure that HIFi Rose are also not ignoring these and one must hope that they are taking the necessary steps to improve in this area ( which they surely must if they are to become a successful, global, high end brand which their products deserve ).

For the sake of balance we should also say that, regarding the actual performance of the RS520, the Stereophile review had nothing but praise for both the build and sound quality of the RS520, describing it as a “ serious piece of cutting edge technology” and a “ fast, impressively appointed sports car for the price of a Volkswagen Golf”.

I have owned the RS520 for three months now and wholeheartedly agree with this conclusion.

2 Likes

Being a owner for RS520 for approximately a month. I agreed mostly to @Martini . The user manual or the wordings on the UI are not perfect, yet to be improved. RS520 is enjoyable listening to. I spent 2-3 hours a day listening to it ever since I got it. There are downs of it, UI is not as user friendly, scanning of database took long times, user manual is not useful. However, it has primarily all I am looking for, all-in-one simplicity, good sound and stage, Apple Music/Tidal integration.

I do agree with all of this, this product is amazing (even though mine has a problem right now) and easy to operate.
Hope my unit’s problem, weird problem, will be solved soon by technical support