Two RS-520s Deployed on Same Wi-Fi Network - Rename one?

I’m happy to say my second RS-520 just arrived and I have it set up in my den downstairs. My first RS-520 is upstairs and they are on the same Wi-Fi SSID. I’ve installed a Samsung EVO 4TB SSD upstairs and am about to do so downstairs so I can place local videos and audio files on each…such as FLAC Soundboards of Dead Shows that aren’t on Qobuz or Tidal etc.
My question is how to give them unique names so I will see them on my Windows machine’s network view separately…like ‘RS520 Den’ and ‘RS520 Living Rm’ for example. Can this be done?..and how so?

@pwscott

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

I’m sorry to tell you that Wi-Fi Network is displayed as it is read by RS520.
There is no way to rename the Wi-Fi Network

Thank you.

I apologize that I have not been clear. I do NOT Wish to “rename the Wi-Fi”. (If I did, I’d do that at my router of course).

I was looking to rename the RS-520 streamers. That is, with one RS-520 in my den, and another RS-520 in my Den, both on the same Wi-Fi SSID/Network, they need to have different names on the network to identify to which one I am copying music files for example.

I have been able change the names of the devices so that I can choose which to connect my phone or tablet to for control with the Rose app…‘RS-520 Den’ and ‘RS-520’ LR’ for living room.

Will this change their name for SMB sharing on the network as well…have not turned it on yet, but will try. I suppose I can issue Static IPs to the devices from my Router and use IP Addresses to identify them, but you would think one could change the name that would show up on the network to reach the 4TB SSDs I have installed in each.

Thanks.

Each device has a unique MAC Address - your router will identify them as 2 different devices, even if they have the same name. But Blanks in the name are not a good idea.
and as you own the RS520 - why do you need them to call them by product name? I think for you its clear what model they are. For SMB - I’m not sure but I think they will use their new name - but wiht a blank, I don’t know how they will behave.
may call the first RS-520 and 2nd RS-520-LR - at least with no blank.
Hope this helps.

1 Like