VU meter with DSD in using Roon

As mentioned in some thread it was told, that the VU meter doesn’t with DSD and I don’t accept this, because I’m primarily using DSD sources (upsampling in Roon to DSD256, because my external USB DAC sounds much better with DSD than with PCM and also I’m owning thousands of dsf files) and so the VU meter is worthless for me.
Other brands like Oppo with the HA-1 or the Logitech Squeezebox Touch are able to implement a functionally VU meter with DSD, but not the “high end” Rose.
Please implement this feature.

I have SACD ISO images on the drive in my RS150 and as long as the VU meters are displayed when I start playing the album via the ios or PC app then the VU meters work.

But you’re not using an externally DAC.

why does that matter, I have my turntable going through the RS150 RCA inputs and the VU meters still work.

or do the VU meters only measure from the analogue output?

You’ve multiple settings for the YU meter (use the input or the output as reference for it and I’ve set the default one (input)).
Also I’ve tested again and will change the title, because the problem occurs primarily in using Roon with DSD.

just checked mine playing dsd via Roon, doesn’t display on VU, have never noticed that before

Yes, that’s the thing - VU is somehow based on PCM - and as long you play DSD without conversion, no VU meters.
I was testing the Rose on a highend system - and it made a difference sound wise when you turn the display off. with my gear at home - I could not reproduce it. But for DSD you see at least the cover and the infos. I don’t care if its not working for DSD.

I noticed that if I use the usb input of the Rose it handles a direct dsd stream differently from the files from the internal SSD. So the solution is very simple for me. I gather all my files on the internal SSD.

The VU meter is just a gimmick. It’s nice to have but it’s not something you need to monitor your recording level or something.

The funny thing is, my VU meters always work. One is on my amplifier showing the output power (hardly ever moves) and the other is on my passive preamplifier. That’s analog and reacts in real time. :wink: It’s a very simple device that works without impeding the signal. The Rose is a very complex device and the only thing simple about its inner functions is complaining about it.

It’s not an open system windows computer where you can tweak everything to your hearts content. What that also means that the only one who can fix non-standard features is you. For a closed system I think the Rose team does a pretty good job.

I think the rose team should make a coupling with my smart lighting so it has a stroboscope function in sync with the music. That would be cool. I did it, so why can’t Rose do it?

OK, enough joking. Just take it easy and relax. Let’s just have fun. So far features have only improved.