Warning - Do not use DB-Rescan, lasts forever!

After a week of horrible experience with Rose Media Library DB-Scan / Rescan I can give you following advice (tested on RS130 with latest software):

NEVER use rescan of your network folder, NEVER! NEVER! NEVER!

Use instead a complete new DB Scan. Sadly this needs some work:

1. DB Delete (don’t wait for response or deleted DB Infos, you won’t get any response or visible feedback, but wait a few minutes for safety)
  2. DB Init (Note: this will reboot your device)
  3. DB Scan

For me this improves the rescan time of my Media Library (83000 files) to constantly 3 hours, instead of endless (I cancelled after 18 hours). 3 hours are still horrible compared to other streamer solutions (Auralic 10 minutes, Roon 20 seconds), but at least calculable.

I don’t think we will get a solution from HiFi Rose within the next years, because they know the problem since years and nothing happens.

3 Likes

I really think they should hire some professional developers and redesign the app from zero
Take a good look at the Roon app and use this as an example.
They can do this in te background next to the current app and only release it when it’s almost perfect.
The Rose hardware deserves it!

2 Likes

They probably should just look at BluOS (Roon is an entirely different beast). It runs on similar hardware and scans quite fast.

That sounds like a good idea. Swap OS to Blu or Volumio etc

I know Roon is different but what I mean is the layout

I don‘t demand ROON Scan performance, this out of reach for HiFi Rose.

For me the Auralic streamer scan times should be a benchmark for HiFi Rose, because the architecture is similar, but much, much, much cleverer implemented.

Here is the goal for HiFi Rose for scanning 83000 files:

HiFi Rose (actual HW, latest software: 250 minutes
Auralic (5 years old HW, latest software): 10 minutes > that’s 2400% better!

And the result of Auralic is based on the old Tesla G2 platform, the new G3 platform is 8 times faster, so it’s realistic that scan times has improved significantly.

But very first they should fix the „endless rescan“ problem, because this is extremely time consuming for the customer to understand and find a work around (always new scan from scratch) and extremely bad user experience.

@ROSEHAN @ROSELOA
I know it’s Christmas soon, but probably you could give us a nice christmas gift in commenting if there are concrete plans from HiFi Rose to improve this extremely unsatisfying situation for YOUR customers.

1 Like

I doubt Lennbrook would like the former, as that would make Rose more powerful (without going into the argument whether one actually needs anything above 24/192) than any NAD device. But Volumio is Linux, but not Android, so it might be quite difficult to implement. But there are tons of products, including open source ones, that can scan a music folder in reasonable time. They definitely should look into integrating one of those.

Roon database layout is what makes it Roon, and not well-suited to running on phone hardware.

Roon doesnt work on phones as a front end?

Front end, sure. It does not do any heavy lifting. But we are talking about the database, and scanning, which are done by the Roon Core, for which Roon specifies a powerful x64 processor (or Apple Silicon), few gigs of RAM, and some reasonable storage. Even mym not super-large (~50K tracks) collection has Roon database taking 1.3GB on disk.

Of course a big chunk of the Roon DB is the metadata that Roon pulls from their servers, which obviously you do not get if you are not Roon.

Do you recommend a NUC to run roon then? Seems reasonable to build

You can run Roon Core also on most of popular NAS, but then it should be at least middle to top class. I use a i7-NUC running 24/7, data on Synology NAS. Re-Scan duration for 83000 files 20 seconds (Rose RS130 around 3 hours, but only first scan, Re-Scan lasts forever in my environment). User experience of Roon is in another galaxy compared to Rose Connect, and ROON is nearly bugfree.

So yes, ROON is recommendable…:hugs:

I heard only certain NUC computers can be used since ROON can be finnicky. Ill see what I can find and build one.

That should work, and probably has more room to grow.

Not quite. If you want to use ROCK, which is their fully self-contained appliance OS, then yes, you need to pick up a compatible NUC (you can’t easily reconfigure it or add drivers etc.). If you put Windows or Linux on it, then pretty much anything will work.

As @renderjoe mentions, you can also run Roon on some NAS boxes. I run it on a Synology 1522+ with no issues. Unless your library is very large (100s of tousands of tracks) and/or you want to simultaneously apply DSP processing to multiple endpoints playing, it is fast enough, and if you need a NAS anyway, it’s one less box to deal with…

So you are using a PC on the network to house and run ROON and your music files then?

A PC, or a NAS box, yes. You can also run Roon itself on a PC (for reasonably sized collections even a decent laptop works) and house files themselves on a separate external drive or a low-powered NAS. Whatever makes sense in your situation.

Ill probably just do a NUC then and leave it next to the router…I have 2 TB HD with a ton of music on it…ROON will sort that correct?

It will but you can’t just put in the drive and assume it will work
A hard drive used with rock has to be formatted first
After formatting the data harddisk you can copy content from another drive to it

Don’t build a NUC with a Harddisk, choose a fanless NUC with NVME SSD and ROCK installed. This is a dedicated server for ROON only, run it 24/7 and forget - ROON will update the ROCK server automated, no more work to do anymore!

Thanks for the tips!

Pretty much. As @Bitspeed mentions, the drive needs to be in a format that the OS under which you run Roon can read the disk. If you put Windows on that NUC, you could use either NTFS or ExFAT formatted drive. If you use ROCK, which is Linux, ExFAT would be better.

Once you have Roon running and connect a disk with music, as long as your tags are in reasonably good order Roon will sort all or most of it out.

If you are serious about getting it running I would suggest checking out Roon’s forums, there’s a wealth of information on how to get things running the best way.