What should be the pre-out level setting value?

Q)
What should be the pre-out level setting value?

A)
It depends on INPUT SENSITIVITY of your amplifier.
If the input sensitivity of your amplifier is 500mV, It is recommended to set the pre-out level of ROSE to at least 500mV.
Clipping depends on the model of the preamplifier you are using. If the input level of the preamplifier is 2000mV, a similar output should be provided from the source device. The RS150 has a balanced output of up to 9000mV.
In this case, it depends on the amplifier you are using. Some products amplify the input signal as it is and clip it. Some products detect and attenuate when an input higher than the input allowable value is input to match the level and amplify it.

So, it is recommended to use the RS150’s pre-out level setting function according to the amplifier’s input level.
If the amplifier is okay, it is better to increase the source output. The higher the level, the better the dynamic range, THD, S/N, etc., and the actual sound quality is good. It is in case of higher level than lower level.
Input sensitivity is the minimum value, not the maximum value that can be input, so there is no need to worry.

More about pre-out level setting…

1. Bypass for PRE is not supported.
  2. The value from the pre-out level setting is based on the balance output. (Unbalance is half of the balance output.) If the level is set to 9000mv, the balanced output will be 9000mv and the unbalanced output will be 4500mv.
2 Likes

My Rotel 1590 preamp has an input sensitivity of 250 mv, Can the Rose 150B go so low? And is it recommended and Will it remove the hissss noise from the speakers? I use the balanced connection.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Admin Can you please give me an answer.

Thanks

Hello,

RS150B has 100/200/300/400/500 mV/ ~1000 ~2000 ~ … so no problem with 250mV.

‘Pre-Out level settings’ is actually the same thing as volume in HiFiRose.
Since hissss noise has a variety of causes, it is difficult to be certain.

Which one should I choose? 200 or 300?

Thanks on advance

I would set on 300mV or even higher, if there’s no clipping noise.
I set it on as high as I can set unless there’s clipping noise, becuase I know most of amplifiers have protection circuit and believe high volume in source device sounds better than high volume in amplifier.