Why Roon and not the Rose app?

Howdy,
Ive never used ROON. Is it that much better than the Rose software on the units? Is ROON sonically better? Dont you need a computer that is on all the time to use ROON? Im considering it, just not sure what Id gain for having it running

Roon lets you apply various signal processing to your music, so ity is not necessarily sonically identical, but if you are sending data unprocessed to the DAC then it will be identical to using Rose app, selecting from Rose’s front screen, or anything else.

Roon does require some sort of server (could be a PC, Mac, Linux box, or a sufficiently powerful NAS box) to be running, and it also needs to be paid for separately.

Whether you will gain anything from running it only you can decide, you should really read the description on Roon’s website. It’s not a replacement for the Rose app, it’s a music management system that combines your local files with streaming services (Tidal and Qobuz currently) lets you play same or different music to multiple devices, applies room correction, gives you a lot of data about what is playing, etc., etc. I personally find it super-useful, but depending on the size of your library and what and how you listen it may or may not be worth the cost to you.

1 Like

How does it apply room correction? That would be interesting. Doesnt the rose app allow you to upscale/sample the music like from 44.1 to 192 etc? Or are you talking about filters? So ROON takes all your music on the network and combines them with Qobuz Tidal?

If you read over this article, you will understand what Roon can and what not.

And Yes - Roon builds your local Music Collection, offers wiki-like Cross Links for e.g. Artists, Bandmember etc. and if you use Qobuz, Tidal extends your discography for any artist, you already own.
In addition, it let you search over local and streamed content.
The network transfer from your Roon Server to your Streaming Device runs with a dedicated RAAT protocol. And where the device is supporting it, you can turn on/off devices directly from within Roon.
The Roon Remote (App/Software) can be run on your mobile, tablet, PC/MAC and is independet from the Roon Server.

ROON seems like alot of work to set up. Or buying NUC etc. Seems crazy

To do room correction, you need to use a tool (from the free Room Equalization WIzard to a commercial tool like Focus Fidelity) to generate a correction file, then load it into Roon. You csan also up or down-sample, convert to PCM or DSD, apply parametric equalization, crossfeeds, etc.etc.

If you are a casual listener, it may not be worth the hassle. You do need a server (ideally, dedicated), reliable network etc. For serious listeners it is great.

You can always try the free trial version on whatever computer you are using now and see if you like it.

It sounds very interesting. Im not sure im that motivated haha we will see :slight_smile:

Right… it all depends on your usage. I signed up for lifetime license s week into trial (both for library organization tools and for artist discovery features mostly) but with different needs it might be an overkill.

Ill have to see how much music i have laying around. Might be worth it

roon is not difficult to set up or maintain. roon software is VASTLY better than RoseConnect app. aside from the fact that it offers more features than RoseConnect, its faster, smoother and never crashes. Roon is the gold standard of streaming interfaces.

roon doesnt do “room correction” per se. if you have taken room measurements you can create filters in Roon to adjust eq etc. but it doesnt do the heavy lifting for you, you’d still need a mic and REW; and then the chops to figure it all out.

1 Like

Hi I used to use roon for a few years but got fed up with it due to it losing database and others annoying issues

I compared roon with the rose software before cancelling my room subscription . And surprisingly found the rose to be better it was less harsh compared to the roon and more dynamic .it’s a much nicer software to use and can access all files on storage directly
Hope this helps

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it

I’m still in doubt, I think the Roon interface looks better but the Rose interface becomes better every update.
But a long way to go to bypass Roon
The Rose app plays the sound on a higher level than the Roon app so it looks to sound better.
When you compare at equal level there is no difference.
But the question is, do you use a nice interface and pay a lot of money for it or do you use the free interface which comes free with your Rose device and accept the few issues
I don’t use the app all day, there are days I play just radio so in that case I use the app for maybe 20 seconds to find the desired radio station.

This is what I’m struggling with at the moment
For now I will extend my Roon subscription with one month

Good insight. You have to use ROON alot to justify it

Roon is so, so much better as Rose App, it‘s like night and day. Every streaming app is better, every - and I have experience!

But it’s your choice, you can listen to your music with the rose app if you have a lot of patience (endless DB Scans) and user experience is not very intuitively. Rose is working on improvements, you have 3 choices: Wait for the improvements, just be happy as it is, or buy ROON.

Soundwise I can recommend HiFi Rose, but I can speak only for the RS130.

About slow scanning you’re right
Now I have 2300 songs on the internal storage and it’s scanning db now already for 3 hours :frowning:

Yesterday, I installed my new RS130 with the Rose App (Android).
I can confirm the very slow initial DB scan (from NAS).
Anyway, I decided already for Roon (with separate Nucleus), before I ordered the RS130.
Reason: I have multiple room endpoint devices at my home, I like to control them all by one system /app (ex. SONOS etc).
So, Roon is the only way to solve it, in my case.
Beside that, when I tested the RS 130 at my dealer, I noticed a better sound performance by Roon, than by Rose App over the RS 130 (the R.A.A.T. might show it’s potential?).
Rearding to known and mentioned flaws of the Rose app, I can fully agree within the complaints…

2 Likes