Wifi with Tidal MQA or Spotify Hi Res

I’m interested in RS 150B or Rs 130 with PS DAC but no ethernet connection only wifi , interested in MQA and when spotify launch tje Hi Res , can I benefit from this

Tidal is dropping MQA, aren’t they?

If you have a good WiFi connection it should work fine though with either.

I don’t think Tidal is totally dropping MQA.

They just won’t be adding to it as all new items will be in plain HiRes FLAC.

I thought there was something good about the MQA decoded sound with a proper MQA streamer/DAC but others hated it for all sorts of reasons. I just use my ears.

I don’t think there’s something spectacularly wrong with MQA sonically, but there’s no much point to it either, and with MQA (the company) seemingly being on its last legs I think there’s not much in looking for MQA support specifically, unless you have a large collection of MQA-encoded tracks.

As I understand, Tidal would still stream tracks that are only available as MQA in MQA, but will replace them with proper high resolution versions as they are available…

Wifi will give you plenty of headroom. I can download with 25 MB/s, WiFi can do 60 with the Rose my phone says.

But…

Spotify is lossy. So it can’t compete on quality. Only if you like features or repertoire.

Tidal has jumped on the MQA train, not realizing where the train was going. Down the ravain. There was something fundamentally wrong with MQA. It was not developed with sound quality in first place but with licensing and $$$. It was basically a trick juggling bits that made it patentable. And thus everybody in the chain from musician to listener including hardware manufacturer has to pay a fee for it, ruining the entire music business. MQA was a rip-off scheme. Pure and simple.

I chose Qobuz for sound quality and price. It’s up to you to chose what you like best. I would look at high res streaming and catalogue. And cost.