About New 'Media Library' (DB scan)

Hello,

Many users are experiencing inconvenience regarding the database scan. The current media library has limitations in implementing various improvement requests. Therefore, we intend to create a new media library system to update the scan system. The main goals are as follows:

1. Improve scan speed
  2. Enhance rescan speed
  3. When adding some files after scanning, only scan the newly added files

If you have other requests related to the media library, please leave a post in this thread. (Providing detailed explanations would greatly assist in the development process)
While we cannot guarantee that all requests will be implemented, we will strive to add them within the bounds of maintaining stability.

Additionally, if you have files that haven’t been scanned correctly, please send them to the following email. We will conduct pre-testing in the updated media library.

rose_service@citech.kr

We are currently aiming to complete development by the fourth quarter of the year 2024, but there may be changes depending on the development progress.

13 Likes

This are really great news!

The mentioned issues are definitely the most critical aspects regarding scan / rescan.

If I can add some more I would add „Auto-Scan“ (automatically check / import for new files) as a nice-to-have feature (but definitely not a priority, mentioned features are much more important).

Regarding samples of files which aren’t imported (or not imported correctly) I will check within the next weeks / months and send it to the provided E-Mail.

Just as a benchmark for targeting new scan times here some ideas (or wishes). All duration times are based on a 88k files media library.

• First scan duration: 2h (acceptable), 1h (ok), 30min (nice), 15min (as good as competition, namely Auralic)

• Rescan duration: 1h (acceptable), 30min (ok), 15min (nice), 8min (as good as competition, namely Auralic)

• Rescan duration only one new or a few albums: Same as rescan duration (acceptable, same as competition namely Auralic), but significantly improvement to rescan duration will be a nice bonus, e.g. 5min?

Roon scan / rescan duration times are out of scope I think because Roon use a complete different architecture with demanding CPU resources, so this should not be the expectation of the complaining ROSE customers.

3 Likes

This is great news and I’d echo everything rnderjoe has said.

I think though the Rose team have to look at this as a major opportunity as well as a response to a specific problem as I suspect it will involve a major rewrite of parts of the system. In particular, when looking at redesigning the database it would be a waste not to ensure the underlying data model didn’t include a much wider set of fields. This would then enable things like:

• Sorting by Album Artist rather than Artist - a particular bugbear of mine as every track on a Various Artists album gets its own entry in the artists list
  • Sorting albums within an artist by release date, date added or alphabetically rather than the current, apparently random order
  • Potentially a wider range of genre descriptions
  • I’m sure there are others

I wouldn’t necessarily expect these to be available from Day 1 but the data model needs to be there to support them. Also, and I’m sure the Rose team is very aware of this, it can’t compromise the stability of the software which is one of its best points.

If Rose are looking for user input and beta testers I’d be happy to volunteer.

Thanks

Alan

6 Likes

Hi,

It would be so great to have iTunes playlists integrated stored on hard disk. M3u etc

Just reading playlist stored on hdd and creating new playlist on the device.

1 Like

I would like to suggest a few things which may make Rose more useful for some audio aficionado.
To start i may explain my setting.

• The boss of my audio data is a windows desktop workstation, RS 520 is the slave.
  • The software i use to manage and tag and organise the audio collection into the file system is “Media Monkey 4.0 and a discogs addon for tagging”
  • The software i use to convert my CD’s into FLAC audio files is EAC.
  • I use ROSE 520 to play my music via an internal SSD 4TB.
  • To transfer the audio data from desktop to RS520 i connect the Rose SSD to the internal slot just like another internal harddisk of the desktop workstation and use “robocopy” to transfer the audio files to the SSD.
  • Then back at the RS520 i insert the SSD, start a DB scan to add the FLAC audio to the Rose DB. The first time i did that i had to wait about 24h for a filled capacity of 3 TB. The 2nd time i tried to add about 10 new FLAC audio CD album into the RS520 DB i waited more than 1.5 days and then cancled the process.

Now back to the Media Monkey 4.0, the desktop workstation and FLAC tagging which i do with an addon. This one reads and compares the FLAC audio with the discogs DB and when found writes all the tags into the FLAC files. There is a lot of information in the FLAC files which can all be seen and managed with Media Monkey on the desktop workstation. Unfortunately a lot of this information is lost in RS520 because the fields are not read properly or not at all. RS520 DB design and scan makes grave mistakes and information to find and organise my FLAC audio collection are lost.

What RS520 DB needs first of all is a user definable multiple value field separator like a semicolon which is not used much in every day language or writing ; field.separator

The DB of RS520 does not understand a separator nor does it read multi value fields. It reads tagging information from the right and stops after the first entry. The same goes for picture tags with multiple puctures like back and front cover. It reads the picture information from bottom up and stops after it finds the first picture. This is valid for any other multiple value fields like genre, multiple artist, composer, what ever. RS520 also does not understand multi disk albums or Vinyl tagging with side A, B and the order of playing such albums.
This way the search can never find all information in the tagged FLAC files and playing a vinyl album in the correct order is not possible.

Following are some screenshots with tagging and other information which i use to manage my audio collection in Media Monkey.

Well new users are not allowed to use more than one screenshot…

I think that all this information should be read into the DB of RS520 to make the device really useful…

2 Likes

Main file properties/tag tab with path, rating etc. simply the information i use to manage my music collection and they are all as tags in the FLAC file. Notice the multiple artist entry and the main artist entry. Since this is a digitised vinyl album there is also a side A (1) and B (2) and tracks for each side. A1, A2, A3,… B1, B2, B3…

The ratings which i set on the desktop or mobile phone are not reflected in the Rose DB and are lost as well. It would be really nice to filter music by ones own rating.

The Rose DB should recognise and understand such information in order for the listener to find such information and sort, filter etc. Also notice the separator value semicolon ; between the entries

2 Likes

Then the 2nd properties tab with additional tag information. I like to fill the field “involved people” and the “publisher”. This way you can find all name entries and filter a specific publisher for a special style of music for example. I very much like the ECM…

Remind, All this information comes from the discogs DB. With it you can tag a very specific album even if there are many releases.

2 Likes

HiFi Rose streamers/transports are not for everyone. At least that’s what I perceive.

I think they are for the individual who is seriously into music. Not casually, not just to show off to friends but seriously interested in the arcane details of music. Usually that degree of interest is not skimming across the “top of the pops” but is dedicated to a particular genre or subgenre. The RoseConnect software should allow for each owner’s special interests to be categorized and presented to that owner the most meaningful way.

StandardModel

Is there any chance that only the ISO file appears in the database? Album cover and ISO file, without the tracks. This would allow us to manage the personal library more comfortably.

Regards!

Please add possibility to edit metadata in Rose Connect for local files like Album Artist, Album Title or Album Year for whole album, not for each song in this album. When music album has for example 30 songs, it take to much time to edit everything.

Next, please add possibility to sort music albums by Album Title, Album Artists, Year Album Artist Artists for local files.

Regards

I completely agree with your second paragraph.

On your first, I’m a bit wary of trying to load too much into this update. A third-party metadata editor might be a better way to go for this, at least in the short term.

1 Like

Rose already has a relationship with Roon, which is the best music management software in IMHO, so instead of re writing the awful library system that Rose has today and limits its usability (I am using mine only as an endpoint because the software is unusable in terms of playlists, discovering, scanning, etc. etc.) why do not license or something to use Roon as the main software file management? It will make Rose and perfect product.

2 Likes

Roon needs desktop-class CPU, more RAM, and a desktop OS. It won’t run on ghe Rose (or almost any other streamer in existence).

Rose is a stand-alone device - and as this, it should be able to suit owners that don’t want an extra Server for Roon.
And for the money they cost, they should simply work. ROON User (like me) have decided to get rid of the device software.
I’m not a Fan of paying license fees with a device. anyone can choose the way to go.

3 Likes

End of 2024 is very late to solve an issue, that is known since Rose came up on the market.

I don’t need it, so I don’t care - but its an argument to sell devices or not.

well not a super desktop class CPU. I have ROON running on a Synology NAS with 6 GB RAM. Not a supercomputer by any measure…and you always have ROCK…

yeah. when I bought the Rose I did it waiting to get rid of Roon and the annual fee. I even did not renew my license when the time came up. But dealing with Rose’s software was maddening. I have a modest library of twenty thousand tracks. very well curated. Dealing with the Rose was a nightmare, trying to get the right genres, or make playlists, even re scanning the library made the Rose, for me, unusable. So, I had to go back to Roon and use the Rose in one of my systems (The other is an ever solo) as an endpoint, which it does very well. But I keep myself miles aways from Rose 's software.

1 Like

Not “super” (mine runs on Synology 1522+ which has a rather ancient AMD chio) but it does, for any reasonably-sized library, more than 4GB of RAM that Rose has, and Roon only builds for Windows, MacOS, and Linux on either x64 oir Apple Silicon. Rose has neither, so I would consider the chances of Roon server running on any current Rose hardware to be between slim and none.

Full Roon client on the other hand (although it would have to be a custom-designed one) should be possible and would be pretty neat…

Yes, you are right. Rose runs Android which is very lean. We’ll see…in any case the awful software does not allow the Rose to be the full solution I was hoping for. But life is full of disappointments :wink:

My advice - buy a Lumin streamer. The software is functioning to 100% :blush:

1 Like