Artist/Album/Artwork

I’ve owned the RS250A for about 2 weeks. I’ve spent hours trying to figure out how the whole Ripping function works, w/o much success. I owned the Sony HAPS1 previous to the 250. You put a CD into the drive, Gracenote would show the possible options for the Artist and Titles, make your choice, and you were off and running. Never had a single issue with it. 10 years old, worked as new until I sold it. I don’t know what Data Base you utilize, but for $2600 plus for your products, it seems like this shouldn’t be an issue at all. I know you can look at Album covers, and choose the appropriate one, not a problem. But having to manually enter in Artist, Title, and songs is not what I should have to do. I don’t have time for that process. Ripping CD’s was one the important functions I wanted when I chose to purchase the unit. Again, for this amount of money, this shouldn’t be an issue. Now, if there is something I’m missing, let me know. I don’t mind being called an idiot if I am! Other than that, I love it. Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

@Ken

The character set of the track information saved on the CD may use the old style.

Since the CD database we operate does not have information on all CDs, information for some CDs may not be retrieved.

The CD database is constantly being expanded.
We will try to support as many CDs as possible.

This is a common complaint that Rose have known about for ages but seem to have no interest in fixing. It’s easy to fix by just buying a licence to use a service such as Gracenote.
I can’t believe a licence is prohibit idly expensive as cheap streamers seem to be OK - it appears with Rose despite the high cost of their products it is being really mean and puts its profit first and customers second.

Thanks for responding to this post. I just looked at the Gracenote Coverage sight and there isn’t any in or anywhere close to China. That would be a good reason I suppose.

Ken,

I’ve had similar issues over the last 12 months … many CDs not recognised by the software used by the Rose (wonderful sound, but some of the software is creaky).

I now use ‘Exact Audio Copy’ to rip my critical disks (mainly the classical ones) on a PC, and then transfer to the Rose database.
Any changes I need in the metadata I make using MP3TAG on the PC.
I have found both pieces of software to be exemplary (although EAC can be a little slow if you use the full ‘test’ capability). Both are available in free ‘trial’ versions which are fully functioned.
This combination is also a greatly improved way of handling multi-disk sets which the ripping on the rose handles poorly (but strangely which display completely correctly on the Rose when the metadata is correct).

br
Gawayne

1 Like

Hi @Gawayne - how do your compilations, soundtracks or albums with different artists show up in your database?

And, how do these show up on your Rose?

thanks, alessandro.

Hi Alessandro

To try to make the display consistent, I’ve started using MP3TAG on my PC to standardise the metadata … It allows me to edit all of the metadata, including dealing with multi-disk compilations which now show up in a nice methodical way on the Rose as Disk 1 … Disk 2 etc but will play through continuously.

Personally, I set ‘Artist’ and ‘Album Artist’ to the same thing … for multi-source compilations I just set them to Various Artists … it means I loose a littloe of the information on individual performances, but I don’t have a huge list of individual tracks when I search under ‘Artist’ … I guess this is just personal preference.
It also works well when I have multiple different versions of the same piece … for instance I have 4 different performances of the Bach B-Minor Mass … these now sort nicely and cleanly making selection very easy and direct.
Editing the titles in the metadata also enables me to standardise the title format … for instance I always like to start the title of a work by Bach with the BWV number. These titles vary from disc to disc, manufacturer to manufacturer which can be frustrating. (It’s not a Rose issue, it’s a general industry issue.)

I’m still working on how to use the directory structure to allow me to isolate for instance Classical, Jazz, and Rock & Pop so that I don’t have to trawl through everything to find what I’m looking for … any suggestions would be welcome.
Gawayne

Alessandro … I can post some example pictures if it helps.
G