Bring back the blue VU meters

Bring back the blue VU meters, just dont call it Mcintosh style.

@Scareface1

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.
Since Macintosh has a copyright on the blue Vu-meter, we have removed the corresponding Vu-meter.

Wow, I’d like to see that copyright. They’ve copyrighted every possible shade of blue for Vu meters?

2 Likes

The blue VU meter was the sole reason for buying the RS150b :frowning:

Would it be an option to add a possibility to change the pink meters to “any” colour maybe, that way Mac can’t say you offer a blue meter :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Let us edit color is a good idea !

5 Likes

Did Mcintosh buy the patent for blue colour of VU Meters. I do not think so. Will anyone who uses the blue colour in the VU meters be judged by Mcintosh???

1 Like

This. Just make a color wheel that the user selects a shade from.

1 Like

The schoolboy error was actually calling it Macintosh blue/style (who came up with such a silly idea?), which opens the door, (wide open, actually…) to litigation, with all the obvious financial consequences down the line.

Obviously a far more established Hi-Fi brand such as Macintosh Labs have a legal department watching out for this sort of situations and - besides, they are owned by a Private Equity fund so they most likely have all the legal muscle/power to take Hifi Rose to the cleaners…so, perhaps, our Korean friends are terrified of this possible scenario and are staying well clear of it…that’s my read.

So, this is doubly silly, since ya know, the current Green Style VU meter is far closer in color to an actual McIntosh amplifier. The so called “McIntosh blue” was more of a purple blue shade on my RS150b.

Which firmware update was this removed on?

While everyone’s comments have merit the true fact here is you CAN NOT patent a color. Simply by removing the name Macintosh removes all liability because the average consumer can no longer be confused between the two brands of Hifi Rose and Macintosh. I am very certain Hifi Rose received a demand letter requesting the name be removed due to the potential for product confusion no matter how small a chance that maybe. Macintosh is not so amateur that they would demand a color be removed from a menu of choices. The “Macintosh,” blue style meters prevail on many devices they are most certainly NOT referred to as Macintosh blue unless, well if they are on a Macintosh unit.

There is no reason these VU meters can’t be returned as long as Macintosh is nowhere to be found within the ROSE software / interface, so the reason to holding them back is confounding at best but such is life.

4 Likes

Hear hear! Well said.

1 Like

Purchase a McIntosh Amp or Pre-amp and you have what you are all bitching about.

2 Likes

No, you are obviously missing the point. We are talking about removing a color from a product that was there when I purchased the 150b over 2 years ago. I have no interest in Mcintosh products.

1 Like

Are you going to pay Rose’s legal fees as well?

All you have to do is not call it mcintosh blue fool. Nobody can patent a color. If that was the case then nobody could paint their car white. Every car manufacturer has a plain white color car in their history, and I don’t see them suing each other over that unless you specifically mention somebodys trademark name. Just don’t mention a brand name… case closed !

Since you’re obviously smarter, by half, than all of us here, surely you can just hack the VU App’s resources and change thee color to anything you want.

Might translate the letter from McIntosh lawyers into plain language us peasants can understand, while you’re at it.

fortunately I didn’t buy a Rs150b for these frills but only for its audio qualities

2 Likes

Undoubtedly the mistake was calling it McIntosh blue.

Whoever came up with that idea within Rose HiFi deserves a genius award.

Colors can be trademarked, although they don’t always hold up in legal challenges. But sometimes they do. It turns out blue (in various shades) makes up the highest percentage of color trademarks (18%). I think, though, in the case Rose might have gotten away with it if they just called it blue. Too late now. If they made a set of RGB selectors to let owners do what they want, that would get them out of any potential liability.

1 Like