Cannot play files from my server

I use the rose connect app go to settings, media library, add/del, network, my Qnap (which it sees) enter my account details and I can see all my music etc… on the server click on a song to play the songs are there in the folder click on the song it says no such file or directory.
I know it’s not my Qnap because I was using the DLNA to play music to my Pioneer N-70AE
If anyone can help please advise me.
Regards Matthew.

SMB1 active on Qnap?

Hi Wideglide,
Thanks for your reply yes I’ve checked the SMB1 on the Qnap and it’s active.
Thanks Matt.

Hi Matt,
when connecting thru the app, did you enter the path to your library like this:

smb://192.168.178.99/hifilounge/

(with your IP and directory of course) and then entered a user and password from the Qnap who has access to the directory?

Hi Wiseglide,
Yes mines is like this smb://102.156.0.38/music/
And it all points to my Qnap.
I’m in a app on my iPhone right now and I can all my music in the app click a song to play it I get a message saying this song cannot be played, no such file or directory.
Regards Matt.

Hi Wideglide,
Ok this is weird now I’m on the Rose RS150 Home Screen (not the app) the actual unit click music icon on the left down to folder, Network, my Qnap, I can play files from that way.
But if I go this way on the Rose unit again
Music, left down to settings, media library, add/delete, network, my Qnap when I click in a folder it says network empty.
I’m confused.com.
Regards Matt.

Hi Wideglide,
I’ve figured it all out On the rose I can see my documents music movies etc… as I’ve organised my data in folders. But on the app I can see them but cannot do nothing with them On the rose screen itself when you can see your files on the right I’ve got a option to add the folder IE: mines is called music so I add it then I go to Music, left down to settings, media library, that folder I’ve just created is there then I click on it and add to to the database for it to be scanned. (But mines was taking ages) as I’ve got big libraries. I don’t know why they to be scanned by the Rose as my Qnap scans the multimedia to be used through DLNA.
Regards Matt.

It seems like any NAS is a problem. I have a QNAP as well and see all my artists, albums, and tracks, but nothing will play. Imagine buying a music streamer and it doesn’t do the one thing you got it for: play your own music. Yes, you can stream tidal and Roon, etc., but the primary role should be the ability to play your own network music. Looking at these threads, it appears the problem has been around for quite a while. Why does Hifi Rose not fix this??? Let us connect to Plex or Asset UPNP or MinimServer and get rid of the SMB approach, please!! This is like buying a Tesla you can’t charge.

I am having the same issue as hififan with a RS250A and a Synology NAS. I have SMB enabled, can add my NAS Music folder to the Media Library. I can see all artists and songs on the app and front display but cannot play them from either the app or the front panel. I have reinitialized the DB and deleted and reenterd the NAS Music folder to the Media Library, however when I instruct it scan and add the DB it comes back with 0 folders and 0 songs, even though there are numerous folders and hundreds of songs. Has there been a solution to this issue found?

@dherrick

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

I have a few questions for you.

1. If you play the folder without adding it to the media library, does it play normally?
  2. What error messages do you get when music doesn’t play?
  3. When it shows 0 songs, does it still show 0 songs after rebooting?
  4. Approximately how many songs are in the NAS Music folder?
  5. May I know the model name, version information, and SMB Advanced Settings of the Synology NAS in use?

Thank you

@rosehan, There is a lengthy thread in the Synology NAS connection error thread, but I will answer your questions.

1. Not sure how to do that, but if I try to play any song directly from the folder without scanning the DB nothing plays. The Artist, Albums and tracks show up, so the metadata is being read but not the actual .wav or .flac files.

2. This is the message that I get when I try to play a song. “No such file or directory. The song cannot be played. Next song will be played.”

3. Yes. I have followed Woorlord’s sequence on the Synology Error thread . Removed the folder, reinitialized the DB , Hard rebooted the Rose device, remounted the folder and tried to rescan the DB and still get Scanned tracks 0 message.

4 Not many songs. Approximately 440 songs in 36 folders.

1. The NAS is a Synology DS214 running DSM 6.2.4-25556 Update 7. The SMB settings are as follows. With these settings the device connects via SMB 3 although I have tried forcing SMB 1 and SMB 2 with the same result. As mentioned, there is a very detailed thread under the Synology NAS Connection Error topic you may want to look at. I really hope that you can resolve this issue as this is one of my primary reasons for purchasing the unit.

@dherrick

Currently we are not able to reproduce the symptom on DS416Slim DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 5 with the same settings.

1. I want to check with remote debugging.
    Immediately after the phenomenon is reproduced, press the Rose device–> Settings → System Settings → Remote Debug button.
    Please also tell us the time the symptoms occurred, your country, and your ROSE ID.
  • After pressing Remote Debug, you must put it in Standby state, not Power Off, to check it.
  1. May I know the path of the NAS folder?
    ex) \192.168.2.152\disk4\1. Music\Aventine (Deluxe Version)

2. Does the account on the NAS contain special characters?

Thank you

@rosehan, Answers

1. Time of occurrence 6/28/2023 17:12 EDT. Country - USA, Rose ID 0D22F6. Debug Mode is enabled and unit is in standby mode.

2 Path to Music folder - smb://192.168.1.5/Music

1. There is a special character in the user password

I hope that this helps. Thank you.

@dherrick

There is no log of your usage.
Press the Remote debug button again and tell us the time and country you pressed.
When pressing the remote debug button, and do not turn off the Rose device.

Thank you

@rosehan, i just pressed it now. 11:00 PM EDT USA. Message said Debug Enabled. Unit is on. Please advise if I should put it in standby.

I also just attempted to access the folder and scan the DB. Again to no avail. You should see log activity.

Time 11:23 PM EDT USA.

@dherrick

It doesn’t matter if you put it in standby mode.
Please wait after trying to play the sound source on the NAS.

Thank you

Finally, it works. I deleted all old log-ins, databases, etc on the Rose. Then I created a new user group and a new user on my QNAP server and changed SMB back to 1 low, 3 high (it doesn’t like that since smb 1 is not considered safe). I then created a fresh path to my QNAP music folder directly on the Rose screen and voila, for the first time in almost 2 years I saw ‘progressing’ when selecting ‘start.a new scan’. It scans slowly, but I am now up to 11,000 songs out of 20,000 scanned/loaded. I will just let it run. Will report back if I run into any more issues, but this has been a journey I never experienced with any other streamer.

1 Like

@hififan, Congrats. That’s great.

I unfortunately have not yet solved my issue. @rosehan, I have updated the firmware on my Synology to DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 6 and still have the same result. I have also tried enabling Advanced sharing for the Rose user and it still will not recognize the music files only the metadata.

@hififan, how did you delete the old log ins and databases? Did you use Clear Data from the System Settings screen?

I tried creating a new user group and user as you did (read only access to my Music directory, also enabled SMB access) but still can’t get the songs to scan. Thanks

I reset to factory condition to make sure all is wiped. Do you have two factor authentication enabled on your NAS? Maybe turn that off while trying to establish a connection. I also played with starting the scan from the mobile app and the desktop app in addition to the front of the rose. One of them ‘stuck’ after multiple scanning start attempts on all the various interfaces. When starting from mobile or desktop it said ‘progressing’, but when I started scanning again from the Rose it said ‘loading’. I know this is ridiculous…