DSD & DFF Audio Files playback with some problems

Dear Friends, it is a pleasure to greet you.

On October 14, I bought a Hifi Rose Rs250A.
Little by little I am discovering it and currently I found myself with the following situation:

When I try to play an album in DSD (*.DFF) format, such as The Dark Side of the Moon, which has all the tracks separated, like any CD, but should be played as a single track, when going from song 1 to song 2; RS250, treats each track as if they were independent tracks and cuts off abruptly.
The continuity of the audio from track to track is not achieved, something that did not happen with my old player.

If I try to do the same in FLAC format, since I have another version of the album, everything plays perfectly.

I ask:
Do I have to configure something in particular, so that this does not happen?
I attach an image so you can see how my DSDs are on the hard drive.
DARKSIDE

As always, grateful for your help.
Greetings from Buenos Aires, Argentina.

José.

Hola José!

Soy Nicolás, también de Buenos Aires, y propietario de un HiFI Rose 150b. Entiendo que tu problema es no escuchar la interrupción entre las canciones en un disco como Dark Side Of The Moon que tiene continuidad entre las mismas. Esas interrupciones generalmente se notan claramente en los discos en vivo.
Tenés que comprobar si está en ON la opción Gapless en Ajustes/Configuración de audio. Funciona con los flac y debería suceder lo mismo con las pistas dsd. Ese disco lo tengo como un ISO y por el momento lo escucho de esa manera sin interrupciones entre las pistas. El problema es que en ese formato no lo indexa en la base de datos por lo que me estaba planteando descomprimir los ISO y obtener los archivos dsd.

Saludos!

Hello Jose!

I am Nicolás, also from Buenos Aires and owner of a HiFI Rose 150b. I understand that your problem is not hearing the interruption between the songs on an album like Dark Side Of The Moon that has continuity between them. Those interruptions are usually clearly noticeable on live records. You have to check if the Gapless option is ON in Settings/Audio Configuration. It works with flacs and the same should happen with dsd tracks. I have that album as an ISO and for the moment I listen to it that way without interruptions between the tracks. The problem is that in that format it does not index it in the database, so I was considering decompressing the ISO and dsd files.

Greetings!

Nicolas.

Gracias por tu respuesta!

Felicitaciones por el RS150, en breve estaré haciendo el update a ese modelo.

Tengo puesta la opciĂłn de Gapless en ON, justamente por ello me llama mucho la atenciĂłn,
es como si fuese un bug del producto o del software propietario de RS250A.

Aprovecho el contacto y te consulto lo siguiente:

Se puede conectar al HDMI del Rose un monitor de PC y que sea una extensiĂłn del display del equipo, mientras se reproduce audio? La idea, es con el control remoto ir navegando por las carpetas que tienen los archivos de audio, y una determinada distancia se hace dificil ver.

Gracias por tu tiempo.

José.

Nicolas.

Thanks for your answer!

Congratulations on the RS150, I will be updating that model shortly.

I have the Gapless option set to ON, which is precisely why it catches my attention,
It is as if it were a bug in the product or the RS250A proprietary software.

I take advantage of the contact and ask you the following:

Can a PC monitor be connected to the HDMI of the Rose and be an extension of the computer’s display, while audio is playing? The idea is to use the remote control to navigate through the folders that have the audio files, and at a certain distance it becomes difficult to see.

Thanks for your time.

José.

Hello,

I am curious if you use Rose Connect on your phone to navigate music. As you mention it is rather small on the device and want to use monitor with it to see the cover of the music?

Thanks Robert

Robert.

Thank you for your reply.

I don’t connect to the internet to play music, I’m not interested in doing it. I play my music from a 4 teras USB External hard drive; always in high quality formats. On the other hand, I don’t want to link my tablet or my phone to the RS250A, I prefer to use the remote control, which is why I am interested in extending the Rose screen to a monitor via HDMI and browsing the disc folders, viewing from the monitor, at the same time as playing the music.

Greetings and thanks for your good vibes.

José

Hola José!

Ayer estuve probando con unos discos en DSD de Arne Domnerus en distintas calidades (512 y 128). Son grabaciones en vivo que me permitían ver el tema de la interrupción entre tema y tema. A pesar de estar activada la opción Gapless, en DSD los cortes no se puede evitar. Por lo que estuve leyendo, pareciera ser un tema del formato ya que en varios equipos de distintas marcas sucede lo mismo. Prometo seguir investigando sobre el tema. En mis copias de respaldo ISO de SACD, el Rose toma el archivo como si fuera un CD y lo reproduce sin interrupciones. No sé si es porque lo lee como si fuera una sola pista o qué es lo que sucede. Lo cierto es que un disco como Dark Side Of The Moon lo podés escuchar de esa forma sin interrupciones, teniendo al mismo tiempo la indicación de cuál es cada pista que se está ejecutando. El problema que encuentro con el SACD es que no se indexa el archivo en la biblioteca, por lo tanto el disco no te figura en la colección y lo tenés que buscar a través de las carpetas (ya sea de la red o de tu disco) para poder ejecutarlo.

Respecto a la pregunta por el HDMI, se puede hacer perfectamente lo que decís. Tenés que conectar el Rose a través de la salida HDMI. No solo vas a tener la visualización de la tapa y el tema que se está ejecutando con su tiempo de reproducción, sino que también podés utilizar la funcionalidad Rose Tube para ver videos musicales de YouTube en alta calidad.

Saludos!

Hello Jose!

Yesterday I was testing some DSD discs by Arne Domnerus in different qualities (512 and 128). They are live recordings that allowed me to see the issue of the interruption between song and song. Despite the Gapless option being activated, cuts cannot be avoided in DSD. From what I was reading, it seems to be a format issue since the same thing happens in several equipments from different brands. I promise to continue researching the topic. On my SACD ISO backups, the Rose takes the file as if it were a CD and plays it seamlessly. I don’t know if it’s because he reads it like it’s a single track or what’s going on. The truth is that you can listen to an album like Dark Side Of The Moon that way without interruptions, at the same time having an indication of which track is being played. The problem I find with the SACD is that the file is not indexed in the library, therefore the disk does not appear in the collection and you have to search for it through the folders (either on the network or on your disk) to be able to execute it.

Regarding the question about HDMI, what you say can be done perfectly. You have to connect the Rose through the HDMI output. Not only will you have the display of the cover and the song that is playing with its playing time, but you can also use the Rose Tube functionality to watch YouTube music videos in high quality.

Greetings!

Nicolas.

Gracias por tu respuesta y contacto.

En mi caso, reproduzco mi musica desde las carpetas, dado que no tengo interés alguno en conectarme a internet, más que para hacer algún tipo de update de software o firmaware, quizas a futuro la gente de Hifi Rose, soluciona este problema; podriamos decir que en mi caso el RS250A,
es un DAC con Display que lo uso para reproducir desde un disco duro externo USB y con respecto a reproducir desde un ISO, mucho no me atrae, porque eventualmente no puedo ir saltando de track en track, en el caso que quiera hacerlo.

Mi antiguo Streamer (Marantz NA6006), no tenĂ­a este problema con los DFF o DSD.
Voy a probar esto que me decĂ­s para conectar un monitor, espero que no le meta ruido al audio.

Gracias por tu buena onda y sugerencias.
José.

Nicolas.

Thank you for your response and contact.

In my case, I play my music from the folders, since I have no interest in connecting to the internet, other than to do some kind of software or firmware update, perhaps in the future the people at Hifi Rose, will solve this problem; We could say that in my case the RS250A, It is a DAC with Display that I use to play from an external USB hard drive and with regard to playing from an ISO, It doesn’t appeal to me much, because eventually I can’t jump from track to track, in case I want to do so.

My old Streamer (Marantz NA6006) did not have this problem with DFF or DSD.
I’m going to try what you tell me to connect a monitor, I hope it doesn’t add noise to the audio.

Thanks for your good vibes and suggestions.

José

Hi Jose,

Seems to me you’d be better off with a computer, like a mac mini, and a great dac, than a music streamer like the Rose. Updating to the 150 won’t make much of a difference in your case. The sound is marginally better but it’s the same machine in a bigger housing. It’s like buying a car just to sit in and have a smoke because of how the ashtray looks. For your needs, I’d check other options.
Best wishes
Hans

1 Like

Hi José,

You are totally right. I have exactly the same problem with my RS130. It only happens with dsf files. The Rose media player leaves gaps ranging between 10 and 20 seconds in the scenario you described. There are some bugs in the Rose Software for reproducing dsf files. It still happens after the last update from 2 days ago. I hope they will fix it in their next update.

Rgds Rob

1 Like

Jose

Con las copias de seguridad de SACD en ISO si puedes moverte entre las pistas y elegir la canciĂłn que deseas. El HiFi Rose carga la imagen y luego funciona como si fuera cualquier disco que tengas en tu biblioteca (te dejo una captura de eso).

Respecto de las filas DSD, evidentemente hay un problema con el software o con el buffering (habría que probar si tocando eso mejora la cosa). @LungtreboR habla de un gap de 10 a 20 segundos, pero no sucede eso en mi caso en el que es casi un microcorte (menos de 1 segundo). No sé si cuál puede ser la influencia de la red (en caso que se trasmita por streaming), de un disco rígido externo, del disco interno que se puede agregar, etc. Son todos elementos para seguir investigando.

Saludos!

José

With SACD backups to ISO you can move between tracks and choose the song you want. The HiFi Rose loads the image and then works as if it were any disk you have in your library (I’ll leave you a screenshot of that).

Regarding the DSD rows, there is obviously a problem with the software or with the buffering (it would be necessary to test if touching that improves things) or the type of connection. @LungtreboR talks about a gap of 10 to 20 seconds, but that does not happen in my case where it is almost a microcut (less than 1 second). I don’t know if what could be the influence of the network (in case it is transmitted by streaming), an external hard drive, the internal drive that can be added, etc. These are all elements to continue investigating.

Greetings!

Nicolas.

Gracias por el feedback.
Hace minutos, actualice todo el software del RS250A y veremos qué pasa.
Voy a probar reproducir ISO’s y te cuento.

Gracias.

José.

Nicolas.

Thanks for the feedback.
Minutes ago, I updated all the RS250A software and we’ll see what happens.
I’m going to try reproducing ISO’s and I’ll tell you.

Thank you.

José.

Hans.

Nice to see you!

I work 10 hours a day with a computer, I have no intention of listening to music and still connected to a computer. In my case, the RS250A is a DAC with Display, which I connect to my PrimaLuna EVO 300.

Greetings from Buenos Aires.

José

Hello rob!

It’s good to have you on the topic. I just updated all the RS250A software, then I’ll tell you if it solved the problem with the DFF’s.

Greetings, José.

Nicolas.

Que bueno, volver a escribirte.

Te cuento:
Luego de haber hecho las últimas actualizaciones del RS250A, sigo con el mismo problema en los DFF’s. He seguido tu consejo y estoy reproduciendo desde el ISO file, del SACD y funciona todo perfecto.

Solamente tengo una duda, la calidad del audio del ISO de SACD, es la misma que obtengo a descomprimir ese ISO y reproducir sus pistas por separado, es decir cada uno de los DFF’s files ?

Desde la logica, entiendo que es mejor tener un ISO, porque está todo en un solo file, y además, es fiel espejo del disco…

Saludos, José

Nicholas.

How good to write to you again.

I tell you:
After having made the latest updates to the RS250A, I still have the same problem in the DFF’s. I have followed your advice and I am playing from the ISO file, from the SACD and everything works perfectly.

I only have one question, is the audio quality of the SACD ISO the same as what I get from decompressing that ISO and playing its tracks separately, that is, each of the DFF’s files?

From logic, I understand that it is better to have an ISO, because it is all in a single file, and also, it is a faithful mirror of the disk…

Regards, Jose

Hola José!

El ISO es tan solo un contenedor por lo que no afecta en nada la calidad de las pistas que hay en su interior. Además, es una copia exacta, sin modificaciones, del original.

Respecto de los DFF’s debería haber alguna solución posible ya que si el mismo software las reproduce sin cortes en un contenedor ISO tendría que hacerlo con las pistas sueltas.

Saludos!

Hello Jose!

The ISO is just a container so it does not affect the quality of the tracks inside. Furthermore, it is an exact copy, without modifications, of the original. Regarding the DFF’s there should be some possible solution since if the same software reproduces them without cuts in an ISO container it would have to do so with the loose tracks.

Greetings!

Hola, gracias por el contacto.

Coincido en todo lo que me decís, pero la realidad de los DFF’s en el Rose250A, es otra; de todos modos desde el ISO, está más que bien para mi.

José

Hello, thanks for the contact.

I agree with everything you tell me, but the reality of the DFF’s in the Rose250A is different; anyway from the ISO, it’s more than fine for me.

José

Hi Jose,

The way you described to playback DSD works fine for me. This allows to playback the original ISO SACD files. The latter is an advantage from my point of view, I can use the ISO files with no need to convert them to something else. However it comes at a price, they are played back through the Rose CD Player/Ripper and not through the Rose Music Player. The files will not appear in music database and you have look for them manually. I made an ISO SACD Directory on my SSD in the Rose to have all my SACD together and find them quickly.

1 Like