HIFI Rose OS Roadmap

@hdelplan

We are planning to support Tidal Connect.
However, to support Tidal Connect, we must be provided with the Tidal Connect SDK compatible with your platform (OS).
Currently, Tidal Connect SDK has not been created for the platform (OS) we are using.
In this regard, a request was made to Tidal, and if an SDK that can be used in the environment used by Rose is provided in the future, it will be supported.
So I can’t tell you the exact date.

Thank you

Thanks for the reply @ROSEHAN

I was just wondering if the upcoming platform 5.0 had the tidal connect SDK.

Cheers

Thank you so much for getting this information out for everyone! It is definitely helpful to have at least some primer of where things are going and when they may be expected. It’s encouraging to see that Amazon Music is finally coming. Thanks for the hard work making this happen. Keep up the good work!

i thought you might like to see the updates being implemented on the Eversolo DMP-A6. This is an intermediate- not a major- release. There are 60 improvements: New firmware release v1.1.80 for DMP-A6​

Change logs:

system

1. Optimized the problem that some audio connect cannot control the volume of the device
  2. Optimized the problem that after the SSD is formatted, it will no longer be displayed occasionally
  3. Optimized the SSD formatting volume label setting function
  4. Added the setting that the brightness of the knob is completely turned off when the power is turned off
  5. Added infrared shutdown command (0x4c)
  6. Optimized the problem that individual APPs cannot be displayed in full screen
  7. Optimized the problem that the volume adjustment screen does not display after the screen is turned off
  8. Added Deezer music service function
  9. Optimized the problem that the music service cannot be fast-forwarded occasionally
  10. Optimized the problem that the artist album interface displayed incorrectly
  11. Optimized the function of skipping albums and folders
  12. Added playlist skip function
  13. Optimized the display of the playlist interface
  14. Optimized the seamless playback function of streaming media
  15. Added the album cover display function of the file manager
  16. Optimized the problem that the order of the playlist is wrong
  17. Optimized the music service screening function
  18. Optimized the problem that the SMB occasional service name does not display
  19. Optimized the problem of occasional failure of the music library
  20. Optimized the problem of slow acquisition when there is too much data in the music library
  21. Optimized the playback details interface display
  22. Optimized the problem of occasional flashbacks in music services
  23. Optimized the problem of some CD-ROM playback freezes
  24. Optimized the music service account login function
  25. Optimized the sampling rate acquisition of streaming media
  26. Optimized the SMB scanning function
  27. Added Internet Radio (BETA) music service function
  28. Added Radio Paradise music service function
  29. Added Radio Paradise stream quality setting function

Control APP
iOS (v1.0.57)

1. Optimized the iPad display
  2. Optimized the problem that the album picture of UPNP music files was displayed incorrectly
  3. Optimized the music library to enter the last exit page by default
  4. Optimized the problem of occasional flashbacks in the sliding music service list
  5. Optimized music service screening function
  6. Optimized the CUE file playback function
  7. Optimized the file manager list display function
  8. Optimized the playback details interface
  9. Optimized the cloud disk list function
  10. Optimized the problem of occasional flashbacks in the album artist interface
  11. Added volume fine-tuning function
  12. Optimized music service data acquisition
  13. Optimized the problem that the iPad occasionally cannot rotate the screen
  14. Optimized the problem that the keyboard cannot be closed occasionally in the search interface
  15. Optimized the problem of incomplete acquisition of individual classification data of music services
  16. Added Internet Radio (BETA) music service function
  17. Added Radio Paradise music service function

Android (v1.0.87)

1. Optimized the playback details interface
  2. Optimized the problem that the music service cannot be logged in occasionally
  3. Optimized the problem of occasional flashback of music service search tracks
  4. Optimized the file manager list display function
  5. Optimized the problem that the track list occasionally fails
  6. Optimized Android 8.0 compatibility
  7. Optimized the music library to enter the last exit page by default
  8. Optimized the function of volume keys to adjust the volume of the device
  9. Optimized the filtering and sorting function of the music service
  10. Added volume fine-tuning function
  11. Optimized the application stability
  12. Added Internet Radio (BETA) music service function
  13. Added Radio Paradise music service function

This is impressive and shows what can be done and at what pace.
By posting this information I am not saying that I don’t like and am not satisfied with the HiFi Rose products. They are great. I’m a Fan Boy. I’m just afraid that I see the low priced Chinese products gaining on HiFi Rose’s. I don’t want that to happen. EverSolo uses Mundorf and other fine quality components as well as HiFi Rose.

1 Like

all hifi rose has to do is update android.
I’ll just say it, I don’t know why hifi rose is wasting time on useless updates to end the year.
just make the streamer better at streaming. tidal connect, qobuz connect, hi res Apple Music.
for devices that have an optional CD drive, its pretty strange that ripping is so important?!?

3 Likes

Muck,

HiFi Rose developers have a conundrum. There is always a limited amount of money for hardware design and software development. HiFi Rose has done an outstanding job with hardware design and construction. Software has struggled. I spent fifty years as an Electrical Engineer patent attorney in the computer/internet field. I developed a rule for new product design. When the product was 95% designed and operable, it was halfway through its ultimate budget to complete a finished, polished product. That last five percent is expensive and time consuming. This is where HiFi Rose is with its specialized modifications of the Android software.

The choices are: 1) continue to fix problems and develop at a slow pace 2) add software programming staff on the payroll 3) outsource the software to catch up and polish final development of the software 4) adopt the current version of Android software and give up on the specialized software. The thing which is lending some urgency to decisions like these is the competition from the Chinese manufacturers who are rapidly gaining on the HiFi Rose Transport/Streamers. These are difficult decisions for Mr. Kim and a decision is necessary.
A few suggestions. First, option 1) above is risky and will cost sales. The others require a significant investment (particularly 2 and 3) but may well keep HiFi Rose as a successful profitable premier product. Option 4 puts HiFi Rose in direct competition with the Chinese. It may help to ask the customer base for their input. Your suggestion to just update the Android Operating System version is a good start even though it may require significant modification of some of the HiFi Rose specialized modifications.

As a user ( I own a 250,150B and have on order an RS130) I would hope that option 1) is not the one chosen and that the management let its user base know what choice it makes .

StandardModel

2 Likes

@StandardModel you are making some very valid points here and I wonder if anyone at Rose will provide any clear answers to your excellent summary.

For what is worth, having worked on business strategy all my career, if your product/service is in direct competition with (in this case, cheaper Chinese) competitors, one clear way to defend your proposition is to make it as distinctive, unique, proprietary and (particularly in this sector) user friendly and accessible to many, the hifi buff as well as the less knowledgeable music lover.

Apple, for example, justifies a fat price premium by making everything looks cool/sexy and - most importantly - making everything so intuitively easy to use and - of course - that’s when software development becomes so critical to success…

Hi-Fi Rose should go for your option 2 without any hesitation and/or delay.

1 Like

Alessandro,

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful comments.

I, of course, would hope that option 2) is what HiFi Rose would choose. My concern is that option 1 will be chosen and there will no longer be that distinction between the Chinese product and the HiFi Rose except a higher price. That is choosing a slow death. The advantage that HiFiRose has had by being first with its beautiful Transport/Streamer will have been squandered and lost. If you compare the Rose-Connect software with that of the EverSolo DMP-A6 is there a great deal of difference?
I would say “no”. What’s worse is that the rate of improvement by Eversolo is astonishing when you compare it to that projected for Rose-Connect.
I’m a great fan of HiFi Rose. I want it to succeed. As a devoted user I’m just trying to warn of what I see to be a coming danger to the brand’s success.

StandardModel

Hi,
I have a rose RS 250, I also bought myself a DMP A6, given the price, frankly it’s not bad, it’s true that they are reactive on the evolution of their product, of course not not the video like at Rose, offers HDMI for the AV amplifier, I mainly use analog or with a different DAC. The ESS internal Dac is implemented differently (as on the Zidoo), it’s linear, straight and detail-oriented without being too analytical, very clear sound without glare, quite musical, quite a lot of dynamics but not excessive, bassier than a Pink. With both, I have two very different listenings, Rose is richer musically, organic, warm, better in fluidity, Eversolo very clean in restitution, but not in softness. I do not regret having stacked the two streamers !

1 Like

Werther44210,

The fact that you can compare them given their price differential says volumes.
Since you have both products how do find the Rose-Connect software compares to that of the DMP A6?
RoseConnect Premium has a rating of two stars out of a possible five. That’s an indication of the users’ satisfaction.

StandardModel

And when will we get a proper shuffle feature- something the Olive 4HD could do 14 years ago :question::question::question::question::question::question::question::question::question:

From your earlier post outlining the road map for this year, I was under the impression that Amazon Music would be added in August ( my apologies if I was mistaken ).
Is it possible to provide an update ?

The reason I ask is that I want to use Amazon High Definition streaming. I have tried the Qobuz free trial and, although the sound quality is excellent, there are many instances of missing metadata, which make it very user unfriendly. This is particularly true when listening to classical music. It is not a HiFi Rose issue - Qobuz has known about this issue for many years now but, surprisingly, have chosen not to fix it.
Thanks for your support.

1 Like

Hi,

Is there a detailed Rose Platform roadmap available somewhere? It would be good to know, if RoseOS will be based on newer version of Android, which will determine support for Apple Music HiRes for example or Tidal Connect capabilities.

1 Like

(sigh)

We’ve been over this many times. You do not need “higher version of Android” for any of these. It’s not a freaking phone.

Indeed this might be a popular topic, but I strongly disagree. OS development is very important from feature and security perspective.

3rd party libraries often require fresh platform, so to get the most from Tidal or Apple Music either way you have to upgrade from time to time.

Have a nice day :), I’m just being curious.

If you are curious maybe you should check with people who have expertise in software development. While at some point some SDKs might require a higher version of Android, currently neither Apple’s Music Kit nor Tidal’s SDK (not Qobuz etc.) require even the version Rose is based on as the minimum. Not that newer versions of Android offered anything related to either the sound mixer (Rose uses a custom one, so getting it to work with newer version would be a major undertaking anyway) nor for making REST calls to services’ servers and processing streams of audio data.

Rose is a music player. Unless you’re planning on strapping a modem to it and teaching it to make phone calls, features added in new versions are completely irrelevant. Sure, in recent versions you can put controls into a notification shade. Rose does not even use a notification shade. It’s not a phone. There/s nothing in the latest Android that would maker Rose a better music player.

It would, however, require that Rose spend some significant effort on rewriting the custom audio subsystem to work with the new version. If you prefer that there are no improvements to RoseOS for the next year while they’re busy with it, go ahead, keep asking. I think there are far more important things they should concentrate on. E.g. integrating Idagio would be really neat. Still does not require any OS updates.

Thanks for your reply.

I was inspired by the availability of lossless quality in the Apple Music Android app. Nowadays, the highest quality is probably not available outside of it. Pity. I’ll keep asking Apple :slight_smile:

It would be nice to have (I’d prefer Idagio, but still), but Apple does not really like to play outside of their walled garden. They don’t make it available to Roon or anyone else either.

Short of Apple building their app for RoseOS (slim chance) only options are to either use aa streamer that can load Play Store apps (could be Android 7, Apple Music would work) or beg Apple to add lossless support to the Music Kit SDK. Nothing there currently requires higher version of Android either. Whether they would actually do it is rather doubtful though, it doesn’t sell iDevices.

Hi, @ROSEHAN news about Amazon Music?

@Okrim

We are in contact with Amazon Music, but are having trouble adding it.
We are working on adding Amazon Music. We will let you know when additional schedules become available.