How to access files in ssd and play in Roon?

I just bought RS130.

I wonder how to access files in ssd inside RS130 or files in ssd pluged into usb 3.0 in the back of RS130 by Roon.

That is , for Roon app, in Settings==>Storage==> +Add folder ==> +Add network folder , how to find the network share location( Local ip is known)、Username、Password.

Thanks.

You need to set up SMB username/password on the Rose, then connect Roon like you would normally connect to an external SMB share.

Generally, this is not a good idea though.

" not a good idea though"

May I ask why is that? I guess it might be that after receiving the playlist, the target music files go from SSD inside 130 to roon core, and then go back to 130, it is a long way, so that the quality of sound might get worse?

It should have no effect on sound quality, but yes, you are accessing something that isn’t really designed to be a file server, reading a file from it, sending it over the network to the Roon server, then sending it over the same network right back to the 130. With a working 1Gb wired connection it should not really have any ill effect, there should be more than enough bandwidth, but this is a rather inefficient way of doing it. And Roon doesn’t really like watched folders appearing and disappearing, so you’d have to keep the 130 on. Scanning and analyzing the library will be slower, too…

Thanks for your reply.
I wonder whether the standby mode or status, which I guess is different from pressing the ON/OFF button on the top, would help in solving the problem that the folders inside SSD in the 130 appear and disappear.

I am not sure how feasible it is. You need the OS to be running to present the SMB share, and that would rather defeat the purpose of the device going into standby mode.

I think one reason some people are becoming unhappy with their Rose devices is that they are trying to use them for something they can sort of do, in extremis, but isn’t really designed to do well, like CD ripping, or being a server…

Yes, the scanning and analyzing process of which files is put in the SSD installed inside RS130 is very very slow, it takes nearly 10 times longer compared to doing so if the SSD is installed inside Roon-server.

Indeed, and 10x might be an understatement.

In all fairness though, a typical Roon server is far more powerful than what is, really, a midrange cell phone.

I would not use the Rose (at least as it is today) as a server, and would advise against using it as a music manager even when only played on the device. On the other hand, my two Roses have been absolutely faultless as Roon endpoints and quite acceptable as Qobuz clients (but then Qobuz’s own software isn’t all that great either).