I2S and the Rose 130

Hello,
Have any of you tried I2S with the RS130? My DAC accepts it but i havent seen anyone review whether its good or a gimmick

Thanks

Please refer to this thread: https://community.roseaudio.kr/t/rs130-not-roon-ready

Sounds like support is way behind on alot of things. I really like the look of this streamer and SQ has been reported to be amazing. But my Holo Audio spring DAC can use I2S. Does I2S function in the rose app even tho there are issues with ROON?

Morning, I’ve only been a Rose owner for a couple of weeks (RS130). But I connected to my PS Audio Directstream using I2S and it has worked perfectly since day 1.
Haven’t compared it to a different connection method between the 2 at this stage.

1 Like

Phil, can you check DSD from the 130 to the DS to see if the channels are reversed?

Yes, it does and does well. At least with me.

1 Like

I2S is a complete gimmick pushed by PS Audio because they can’t compete on an actual product. It was never designed for connections between devices, there is no standard for it (that’s why people have all these problems with compatibility) and generally it locks your DAC to source’s clock, so jitter might become an issue, just like in good old 1980s from when I2S originates.

While it is definitely possible to design a DAC that would sound different (worse, better, or it rickrolls you no matter what you are trying to play) on any given connection, in general case there will be absolutely no objectively identifiable difference. People who believe that there is also believe in directional audiophile network cables, green CD markers, unicorns, and Santa Claus.

I changed from i2s to usb between rs130 and Holo May KTE and think usb even sounds better.
And no problems at all with locking issues etc

Good to hear. Ill try USB as well since there is no locking issue for sure with USB

USB 2.0 out to DDC an then via I2s to the DAC is my best choice…
Good cables, e.g. All-New muon2 USB or short Tubulus Concentus i2s max. 0,75 m (better 0,5m),

Result Native DSD512

2 Likes

Looks good. Congrats! Still, I’d prefer to have it working through I2S in maximum resolution without a DDC. That’s the promise that Rose had to deliver on in the first place.

So via I2S what is the max resolution we can get?

Through the Rose app dsd256 (with me)
Through Roon dsd64
Both depending on your dac’s capability.

I’ve just got an Is2 cable will try that tonight I do think it will be better than the usb connection
Let’s see

Be great to hear how it goes

I have a Gustard r26 r2r DAC and an RS 130. Do any of you know if there is a cable which will allow a direct connection from I2S of the RS 130 to the I2S of the Gustard without a D to D converter? The pin outs of the Gustard don’t match either of the available options inside the RS 130.

Did you get the 12S connection working between your RS130 and Holo Audio DAC? If so which RS130 12S worked for you 1 or 2 please? I ask because I have a similar DAC and RS130 and because of the 130’s weight I struggle to pull it out to change rear connections