Outdated Android

@ROSELOA Is there any chance we will experience app problems in future because android 7.1 becomes outdated?
Are there any plans to update to newer version?
Now even android 13 is on its way

Hello,

Is it a question about RoseConnect Premium APP, or ROSE OS in ROSE device?

About RoseConnect Premium APP, as Android continues to evolve, Android in the lower version may not be supported. In fact, ROSE APP used to support Android 7, but no longer supports it.

Sorry, I did mean the os from Rose device

As long as Rose doesn’t allow us to install apps from Google Play Store freely I don’t see any point in upgrading to a newer Android OS because it will inevitably introduce more bugs for Rose to fix…but I do wish Rose supports Amazon Music, Apple Music, etc in the future.

1 Like

Well, it’s more a security issue. It’s possible older android versions might have vulnerabilities which allows people to access your network.
This android version will not get any security update anymore.

1 Like

Are you really concerned about security in your local network?
Most routers do have a basic firewall onboard, where you can set that only outgoing traffic is permitted and Incoming is blocked.
The Rose is like any other Player with a LAN/WLAN Interface - it’s a more or less closed system - as long as none is trying to root or modify it.

I personally don’t see any risk on a Player (it’s not a PC) with no extra features, like installing other programms than those validated by Rose in their own store. Devices like mobile phones, TVs with microphone and so one are much more sensitive when it comes to security questions.

Yes, this is true. Maybe I shouldn’t worry about it :relaxed:

1 Like

Hello,

Sorry for being late.
No plan for ROSE OS android version update yet.
Also, even if we have a plan, we will make sure you have no problems using ROSE OS.
thank you.

1 Like

Why would older OS version per se be more vulnerable?

Is it really correct that Rose OS runs on Android 7?
Is there any schedule to update it to 11+?
StandardModel

Yes it does, even my brand new RS130 runs same old android version but according to the developers it can do no harm because it’s only used to run the integrated apps

And what would be the point of updating to a more resource-intensive version for a device that only runs custom software?

1 Like

Maybe quboz connect. Apple Music lossless.

Maybe Whatever the new Chinese fellas can do.

Whenever Qobuz actually comes out with a Connect of their own.

Due to unusualk screen size and custom hardware/sound subsystem, AFAIK Rose runs custom apps, not the stuff from the Play Store. So moving to a different version of the custom OS build would also require rewriting all of those.

Certainly possible, but unless there are some APIs in newer Android that are required to implement some theoretical future Qobuz Connect, what would the advantage be?

At the end of the day the APIs are way too old on android 7.
Nothing custom about apps from streaming services. They still require sdk and apis. You cant move forward if you’re stuck in the past.

Qobuz requires 6.0+; Tidal requires 7.0+; Apple Music requires 6.0+. There’s nothing in the OS version Rose uses currently that would require an immediate update.

Apple Music lossless. I’m sure people would be wanting that. Which wasn’t available to android users when it was released by Apple.

Most likely not happening unless Apple releases it for Android, and allows third-party manufacturers to modify it (phone/tablet version would look really weird on Rose display). Or allows third-party API access. Most likely not happening no matter what version of Android Rose puts in it. Even Roon can’t get them to play along.

Don’t believe the koolaid
It’s android. You can install it in those rear vision mirror displays.
All sorts of weird screen sizes and still operates just fine.
I’m pretty sure we don’t run hacked versions of legitimate apps on our streamers.
Yeah sure. Apple Music for android 7 doesn’t support lose less. So it’s apples problem? Not really
Apple music for android 11 supports lossless , so why is it apples problem to fix on an outdated no longer supported OS

Always good to see a professional expert!

And it will work appropriately. Have you tried running Qobuz on one?

Are you saying we are running Play Store versions of them? As far as I can see, we are not. Versions are different, features are different, and the integration with the rest of the system is something “legitimate” apps do not have.

That’s not what Apple says, and Android 7 supports lossless audio just fine, in custom versions (and you need a custom build in 11 for proper high resolution support as well).

While there are devices that run straight phone/tablet versions of Android, and can use Store apps, I think I’ll rather trust e.g. Tidal that confirmed that streamers (including all the big name Android-based ones) will not get Max until Tidal releases updated APIs for third-party vendors. Because, yeah, Tidal (Qobuz, etc.) apps on streamers are not store versions but custom software developed by the device manufacturer based on service’s APIs and/or SDKs. Or, as with Airplay support, something reverse-engineered by the community.