Queue Function - integrated playlists from each Music Service

Is there any explanation of how the Queue function works?
When I click on a song it moves to the top of the Queue but it doesn’t play.
Nothing else happens.
My Queue shows 14 songs out of 3,000. Why those? What about the rest? How do I navigate the Queue. I see that the order can be reversed top to bottom and the list can be deleted but nothing else.

I would like to know how playlists are selected to be included into the queue. I have many playlists in each of the services. How do I select which one to include for each or do you include them all?

StandardModel

I found this mini tutorial that was posted last year.

The basic notion is that the device plays content from the queue. You can alter the default behavior of what happens when you tap on an item - you can overwrite the queue and play it now, or you can add it to the end of the queue. There are a lot of options listed in the music options in the setting for what happens when you select an item to be played.

The queue can have up to 3000 items to be played. You can clear the queue, add things to be played next, or add things to be played at the end of the queue.

Once you figure out the queue, it really is a powerful tool. But it is different concept than other services.

If you have a playlist in one of the supported services, open the playlist and select the 3 dots for the playlist…. You should see options to add the playlist to the queue.

1 Like

Manny,

Thank you. I should have done a better search first before posting.

It would be very helpful if the “three dots” were available at the top of the Queue instead of having to first select one of the music services on the left of the Queue.

StandardModel

I agree. The interface can be clunky and not very intuitive at times. But, once you understand what it is doing, it’s workable and actually quite powerful.

I bought the 150b for music, but I found it a great YouTube viewing device as well. I can queue up all of my videos from my YouTube channel subscriptions. I have no other devices that allows this so easily.

Think of the queue as the place where your material to listen or view goes, not where to start. So begin with your music sources or video sources and add them to the queue. Then you can pause, rearrange or replay from that queue. The queue can include a mix of any of your available sources.

I have an extensive amount of music in my SSD drive in the 150b. I can mix that with my Qobuz or Apple Music content. Then throw in some YouTube as well.

The one thing that the queue has which is practical but annoying is that 3000 item limit. I get that 3000 is more than you would want to listen, but it limits you from just taking a 10000 song playlist and say play all of this in a mix. It will only pick 3000 items.

Manny,

Everything you say is correct. I have “Engineer’s disease”. If it were up to engineers no product would ever be released. There’s always just a few more improvements to be made. Nothing is ever finished or perfect. You know the old adage “The perfect is the enemy of the good”. I want HiFi Rose to be perfect.
The issue I have with the Queue is that it takes up a large amount of “real estate” on the splash page and you can’t do anything with it except delete or reverse the alphabetic listing. You should be able to “play, add, subtract” and otherwise manipulate the Queue directly from that list. It’s not at all intuitive that one must figure out what service a song is on, click on the appropriate icon (unidentified), then find the three dots on that page (completely unintuitive) and only THEN modify the queue.
Modify Queue
Crazy.
Still with all those GUI mazes, I love HiFi Rose more and more each day.

StandardModel

Have you tried the phone app? I have found the app a better way to use the Rose. I love the 150b and its large screen, but the phone app makes it much more convenient.

I also have an engineering background and sometimes wonder what they are thinking when I see some of the UI items. But I learned a long time ago when using Apple products that people will adapt and enjoy the content. I could spend all of my time tuning and tweaking or just enjoy the music or the pictures.

Same goes for Rose. I stopped wanting it to be what I want it to be. I enjoy it for what it is. One of the finest sounding most rounded products in the market. I will submit change and bug fixes on this forum. I find them pretty responsive. I can’t say that about big companies.

I try to help others when I can. I learn from the interaction and the problems posted by others. It is the whole reason why I got into this rather expensive hobby.

1 Like

Manny,

Thanks. I have downloaded the iPhone version and it is better. I actually have an iPad next to my listening/watching position and control RoseConnect from there since the Rose Remote (don’t get me started- it’s a mistress- beautiful but can’t cook) isn’t fully operational.

You are right. I should enjoy it for what it is. I actually do enjoy it. I probably don’t post about what’s right about it enough. After all, we both forked out a good deal to buy it. I actually have owned a 250, a 150B and now an RS 130 so I’m no complete stranger to Rose.

You’d think by now I’d know all the nooks and crannies of the software but I’m still finding little things about it.

For example, after your helpful post on the Queue I clicked on the Qobuz icon next to the Queue list which displayed the Qobuz playlist on RoseConnect and then opened up the playlist on Qobuz. I didn’t check all the listings but they don’t appear to be the same.

Shouldn’t they be?

One of the good things about Rose is that it is like a never ending puzzle.

StandardModel

Make sure to enable synchronization in My Qobuz… that should sync - hopefully

Manny,

Found it and now enabled.

One more thing I have learned.

Thanks!

Software Nightmare.
The software is terrible and gets worse with every update.
My Queue list is full 3000/3000 but will not play. It tells me “The Selected Playlist is Empty”
It will not play any manually selected song in the queue ( eg even when set to “one song add and play immediately”) I can no longer search and add files by sample rate or bit depth, nothing shows.
I have rescanned my database to no effect

I should be able to set up a queue for ordered or random play, select files to add by several metrics like sample rate and add them easily to my own playlists from te app, none of which is possible in any consistent and coherent way .

The whole thing is a huge frustration
Is there an intelligible manual or guide to adding songs to the queue and playing songs in the queue etc? The app and machine do not do what the manuals say

Is there a plan to update the software so it isn’t the worst among all similar devices? I have been defending it until now but this is becoming ridiculous

Here’s a simple example. I want to play the contents of the internal memory, folder Rosedisk randomly.
How do I add that to the queue or otherwise play the cntents without adding individual albums?

I have a song in the queue that I want to play now, how do i choose it?

I am playing a song and want to add it to a playlist, how do I do that simply?

@HJK

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Please answer a few questions.

1. As you said, up to 3000 sound sources are added to the Queue. Where are the music sources mainly played for these 3,000 songs? Tidal, Qobuz, USB external hard drive, SSD, etc.
  2. What do you use to play music? Rose device, iOS, Android, Mac, Windows, etc.
  3. If the problem is with songs stored on an SSD or USB external hard drive, is your SSD or USB external hard drive connected properly? Is the song you want to play in Queue stored on an SSD or USB external hard drive?

Rosehan,

I have all of the available music sources such as Apple, Qobuz, Tidal, etc. I have dozens of playlists in each of the music sources. Is there any way to select which of the playlists from each source are added? If not, how does the selection process in Rose work? Does it just go to the first picked source and add all the playlists until it fills the playlist with 3,000 songs? Does it have a limit for each source playlist songs like 1,000 songs per music source? In other words how are the playlist songs selected from each source?

StandardModel

@StandardModel

What I described above is a Queue, not a Playlist.
Playlist and Queue are different.

Rosehan,

Thank you for your clarification. You have listed above instructions for both Playlists and the Queue.

What I still am unable to grasp is that to the left of the Queue vertically there are icons for each of my music sources (Apple Music, etc). If I click on any one of those icons, it appears to me that songs from that service appear only in the Queue. These are songs I have not added by any of the above methods you have described for adding songs to the Queue. How did they get there? How do I modify or delete them?

StandardModel

@StandardModel

All songs you play are moved to the Queue.

If you turn off the function below, you will not see songs that you did not add.

Rosehan,

Thank you very much. I did not know that all songs I played are added to the Queue unless the option is turned off.

StandardModel