Roon and DSD512?

Hi! Not sure if this is for Rose, or Roon (I’ll ask there, too).

RS250 is supposed to play DSD512 format, as I understand, and I think I was able to play a sample file from a network drive. When configuring the RS250 in Roon though, in device setup the highest DSD I can select is DSD256. Is this correct?

Thanks!

1 Like

@BorisM

By using Roon, for example, PCM 32bit/768khz, native dsd512 is received, and PCM 32bit/768khz, native dsd512 is output through USB audio output.
When dsd to pcm mode is selected, dsd128, when DoP mode is selected, up to dsd256 can be output by USB.

Thank you

@ROSEHAN thank you for your reply. My question is – why in the RS250 configuration screen in Roon I can only select up to DSD256?

As you can see, DSD256 is the highest resolution available.

Roon Core and RS250 are connected over Gigabit ethernet.

Thanks!

Also, I am using RS250 as a DAC so I only care for the analog output.

Are you shure, that this answer is correct?
My thought is, that:

• native DSD512 is only possible, if you’re using the USB IN and the analogue out
  • using RAAT, you can only have DSD256 as max
  • using USB out, you’ll have in every case DoP and in using RAAT DSD256 DoP

That’s entirely possible, but would be good to see an official word from Rose. The manual that came with mine (or what I could find on the site as well) does not seem to put any stipulations on how DSD512 should be fed in, as long as it is not over legacy optical/coax inputs.

As I use Roon, does it mean that a Roon end-point like RiP4 is still needed to feed Native DSD into RS250 via USB?

@HiFiRoseFan not necessarily. I sent DSD256 files from Roon (don’t think I even have any 512’s yet) successfully with no downsampling. But apparently if you have DSD512 files, you would need to feed them in some other way if you want to have bit-perfect playback.

1 Like

Hi there
When I use Roon via USB IN.
How can I see in Rose the sampling rates of the input stream and if it is PCM or DSD ?

Rose support. Could you answer it?

Again and again: You can’t!
Using the RS250A only as USB DAC doesn’t make much sense.
Buy for the same or cheaper price a dedicated USB-DAC or use your Rose device as Roon endpoint upto DSD256.

Ok. I got your point. However, when I use Rose as Roon endpoint, I see that Roon downsamples dsd256 steams to dsd 64. How can I avoid it?

Check your Roon configuration, you probably put a DSD64 as a highest supported rate somewhere.

@Hsheffer1954

RS250a uses DOP mode when connected to Roon, supporting DSD playback up to DSD256.
If downsampling to DSD64, make sure digital output is enabled.

If digital output is activated in the input/output settings, only up to DSD64 can be output, so down-sampling to DSD64 occurs.
If you are currently using it without an external DAC connection, disable digital output and reboot the device. Roon’s Device Settings → Advanced menu will look like the following picture.