Roon network software - server only currently

A recent release of the Roon Server software updated the network management software they use and this caused significant issues for a number of systems using older operating software - especially on “appliance” type servers. They apparently assumed that systems would be running reasonably up-to-date versions of system software.

This isn’t a “today” problem, but if they do a similar update on the endpoint systems this could potentially impact systems using, for instance, older versions of Android.

It would be worth Rose checking with Roon whether this might be the case, and plan accordingly, as it might force a move to a newer version of Android, and that’s not something you’d want to do in a rush.

1 Like

No, it did not, and as long as Roon does not break something (i.e. changes RAAT completely) OS in the endpoint does not matter the least bit. That’s kind of the whole point of Roon.

1 Like

You don’t have to automatically dismiss every post you know.

From Roon’s own statement

Our change involved moving to a newer and more modern toolset for managing network connections.

Itr has nothing to do with connecting to endpoints, they’ve explained the problem well enough.

Sigh

I wasn’t suggesting it was. My only point was that Roon changed part of the networking stack they use (in this case handling external connections) which caused unexpected issues with systems using older software.

RAAT sits on top of a TCP/IP stack so there is the potential for issues if a future update of the Roon endpoint makes assumptions about this stack which older implementations don’t support. It’s almost certainly not a problem. I was only suggesting that Rose look into it (with Roon) so they can plan any changes needed (if any) and not have to do anything in a hurry.

That’s all.

1 Like

Potential… yes. Roon, just like Tiday, Qobuz, or any other service Rose connects to, can change anything at any rime that would make the service incompatible with 90% of their userbase. What are the chances of that?

Roon isn’t exactly super-forthcoming with what the changes were exactly but looks like they started requiring more up-to-date security protocols to be supported by the host OS. This might become an issue at some point (quite unlikely really) but it’s an entirely different from internal RAAT usage. TCP/IP stack ain’t going to undergo any radical changes any time soon.