RSA720 USB2.0 Connectivity Issue to DAC

Hello @ROSEHAN and @ROSELOA

I am using RS130 with fiber connection to RSA720 and connect the RSA720 USB2.0 port to DAC, the RSA720 switch has turned to SFP mode.

Recently, when I power on the RS130, and then the DAC, for most of the case, the RS130 cannot detect the USB connection of the DAC. Sometimes I have to restart the RS130 and then my DAC or vice verse in order to get the RS130 recognise the DAC which is quite unpredictable… thought after several attempt it should be fine, but again, this is unpredictable and inconvenient.

My DAC is Weiss DAC501 MK2

I also check around the Rose community there are plenty of users here experience similar issue and some of them even can’t make it work and have to return it…

May I know if this is being aware and investigate behind the Hi Fi Rose engineer?
May I know if fix is under development?
May I have your insight of this issue?

Thats fine if this is the pending issue of Hi Fi Rose if this has been well aware by Hi Fi Rose engineer and wish to know if any action was undertaken inside Hi Fi Rose!

Thanks alot!
Deckard

1 Like

Dear Hi-Fi Rose users

We apologize for the late response to this issue.
We were also aware of the issue.

RSA720 is a USB fiber optical hub.
There are few devices on the market that have the same functionality as the RSA720.
They also have serious compatibility issues.
RSA720 is a device that we developed because we thought it would be better to use with RS130.
Each DAC has different compatibility specifications. We are currently unable to apply it to RSA720.

There are almost no DACs that are not recognized, but there are DACs that are compatible only in certain situations.
We will try to avoid compatibility issues with as many DACs as possible.
We apologize in advance for the time it may take.

For example, just as we recently solved the problem of Holo Audio KTE May DAC not being recognized when connected to RSA720, I think this will work for other DACs as well.
However, this issue may appear if the current Holo Audio Dac is a 2023 model.
We will do our best to fix it as soon as possible.

I respectfully request your response to the following.

1. What is the DAC model name you are using?
  2. If the DAC is not recognized when connected to the RSA720 USB port, will it be recognized when connected to an external hard drive USB?
    If the USB external hard drive also cannot be connected, there may be a USB port problem.
  3. Is the DAC not recognized even when connected to all USB ports of the RSA720?
  4. When connecting a DAC to the RSA720 USB port, please explain in detail when the DAC is not recognized in certain situations and when it is recognized.

Thank you

Hi,

1. My DAC Denafrips Terminator Plus, direct via USB or the same with a Denafrips DDC USB in and then via I2s out to the DAC
  2. The USB-Stick is recognized by USB3.0, RSA 780 is recognized when connecting to USB2.0. Ripping is possible, songs do not play at all (next track and finally it stops).
  3. DAC is recognized in very rare cases (three times in a week), on one of the ports of the USB2.0
  4. If the DAC is connected (which happens very rarely, once out of ten attempts), the songs do not play (I use Roon and tracks from the SSD, which i build inside the RS130). There is a cover and the name of the track but there is no title playing sounds and after one second it stops.

Hello @ROSEHAN

I have responded in another thread - RS720 USB doesnt work at all - #22 by deckard

Dear Hi-Fi Rose users

We are distributing new firmware by fixing two issues related to RSA720.
This new firmware only applies to users using RSA720.
If you want the RSA720 update file, please send an email to the email address below.
Also, when sending an email, please include your active nickname in the Hi-Fi Rose community.
eunseong96@citech.kr

We will also organize and deliver update files and update methods.
The update method is very complicated, so please follow the instructions carefully and if it doesn’t work, please email me.

If the update is completed properly, please let us know if the symptom persists afterward.
If it has been resolved, please let me know if it has been resolved.

Thank you

1 Like

There is an error, we received either by email or by Google Drive the original firmware 82.00.42.00 and not 92.00.42.00 as described in the Excel instructions?
ccc
I respected the process and the firmware remains in this version.

as it looks to me, it is only an update of the firmware in the RSA720 and the RS130 is not affected?!?

92.0.42.0 it should be – but the bin is VL671__0082_42_00_RSA720_20230906.

Looks pretty complex to me and I also have to use a Mac instead of a PC… and the software is not compatible.

I turned back the device to my distributor.

So, i am waiting for OK from you / Hifi Rose, when an update of the devices has already taken place at delivery.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, it is only for the RSA720.
The process is very well explained and apparently works. But Rose did not provide me with the correct firmware version. I got version 82.xx.xx and not 92.xx.xx. No news whether by email or here…

@ROSEHAN or @ROSELOA, Hello any updates on the correct firmware or should we install what was made available to us last week.

I put the firmware 82.xx.xx on RSA720, received in a letter. I will check in the next Saturday and write the results.

Dear Rose users

Currently, we have not received an accurate response from the person in charge due to work related to update distribution.

After the update was released, they decided to check and send me a response.
Sorry for the late reply.

This firmware solved the problem. DAC (Holo audio May KTE late 2023) connected the first time and everything works fine. Thanks to the team HIFI Rose for solving the problem! I enjoy music.

Hello,
Are the Dacs detection problems solved with the new firmware?
Does the RSA720 significantly improve sound quality?

Hello. Yes, all problems are solved. The RS130 sees the DAC every time it is turned on. The sound is better at the nuance level. In my case, the RS130 is optically connected to the network and USB, the RSA780 CD drive is connected to the RSA720, and the HQP endpoint is connected to it via USB-B. Very comfortably

Dear admin,

Thank you for your assistance in resolving the compatibility issue. I would like to inquire about the release date for the latest firmware update for the RSA720, which is intended to address this compatibility issue. As a user of both the RS130 and the RSA720, I have encountered an issue where my DAC (Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE) is not recognized by the RS130 when connected to the RSA720 using the SPF port, despite switching the RSA720 to SPF mode. However, when connected to the RSA720 using the USB port, the DAC is recognized without any problems. Interestingly, there are no compatibility issues when using my old DAC, the Cambridge DacMagic 200M.

I am eagerly looking forward to enjoying the high-quality sound that can be achieved through the optical connection, and obtaining the latest firmware would greatly help. Any updates or information regarding the release of the firmware would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your attention and assistance.

@szeto

In your case, there doesn’t seem to be any problem that can be improved by upgrading to the corresponding firmware.

Thank you for your reply. Now, I can only connect the RS130 to the RSA720 using a USB cable. Are you suggesting that the sound quality of connections made via a USB cable and an optical cable are identical, and therefore, there is no need for me to upgrade the firmware? However, according to the Hifi Rose website, it is mentioned that an optical cable “facilitates flexible placement with superior transmission reach compared to traditional USB cables.” [Updated]

@szeto

Please request the update file via email below.
eunseong96@citech.kr

That’s exactly what it is, Rose is actually being quite honest here – optical cable will let you run the connection for tens of meters. Normal copper USB would go for maybe 2-3 meters if all is well. But as long as it works, there can’t be, and won’t be any difference in sound quality. There won’t be any difference with a ridiculously expensive USB cable either.

Hello, :wave:
Does anyone have the RSA720 hub and a Denafrips DAC (Terminator) that works well with the SPF mode?