Synology nas connection error

@dherrick I have an RS150B on the latest software version 4.7.01, XMOS3147 with a Synology DS1621xs+ NAS on the latest software DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 6.
The Synology NAS SMB service is configured for minimum SMB2 and maximum SMB3,

The Synology NAS has a dedicated ‘Rose’ user account and password, this user is set up as a ‘user’ with ‘read only’ access to my music partition, (smb://192.168.25.245/Music/Music Library/FLAC).

I can play music from the Synology NAS on the RS150B either by browsing the ‘folders’ or from the database all through the front panel or via the iOS App on my iPhone or iPad.

Also still got a Logitech Squeezebox Touch in the bedroom but that is now just a very expensive clock!

Thanks @woorlord. I will st up a separate user account and give that same configuration a try. The only difference is that I am running DSM 6.2.4-25556 Update 7. Fingers crossed that it will work.

@woorlord @roseloa, I configured a separate user account and SMB settings exactly like yours and unfortunately am getting the same result. The unit sees all the artists and songs but will not play. I get the same message as my previous post.

Maybe I need to update the Synology to DSM 7. Always hesitant to fix something that isn’t broken because it was working fine with Logitech Media Server and the Squeezebox, but I may have to. Frustrating.

@dherrick Anything in your NAS logs - should at least show what SMB it is using.

If you change the Synology log settings you can also see if the files are being read by the Rose.
Added ‘Read’ in ‘SMB Log Settings’ on NAS,

And when I play track from the NAS…. (Maybe some info when it try’s a scan)

Mine says that it is connecting via CIFS (SMB3)

@dherrick added some additional log info settings above.

My File Transfer Log is empty

@woorlord. Thanks so much for your help. Would love to get this figured out. I’m hopeful as you seem to have it resolved.

Finally figured out how to insert screenshots.

@dherrick In the SMB setup on the NAS check Log Settings that ‘Read’ is selected - it defaults to unticked. Then try a database init and rescan - see if any files are read.

Also try setting the NAS maximum SMB from SMB3 to SMB2 - just to see if this has any effect.

I have an older Synology NAS (DS916+) which I upgraded to 7.1 and that all upgraded fine.

I run a QNAP server and have tried all of the above numerous times without success. As soon as I hit ‘scan’ it returns ‘0 music and 0 video files’.

I did revert to SMB 2 min and max and do have read checked on the Log Settings

As @hififan says, when I scan the DB it always comes back with 0 Scanned tracks

@dherrick & @hififan I have duplicated the problem you have experienced and got the ‘Scanned tracks 0 (audio 0, video 0)’ message and nothing you do with database rescan or database initialise seems to fix it.

I used the MacOS App on my Macbook to setup the network directory of the NAS and it all fails.

If you try and repeat the setup using the front panel instead this also does not work and does a ‘DB caching’ but still no tracks, all you get immediately is ‘Scanned tracks 0 (audio 0, video 0)’ message under the Media Library. Browsing the NAS folder over the network, you see all the tracks and if you try to play one it says ‘Access Denied’.

To fix,

1. Delete all previous network directories via the front panel and delete any associated databases.
  2. Shutdown your Rose device - hold the power button on the front panel and select ‘Power Off’.
  3. Power the Rose device back on.
  4. Use the front panel to browse the network and setup any NAS directories, enter your NAS username and password. (I have a separate one username: rose / password: etc.). All of my NAS settings are in a post above.
  5. Under ‘Media Library’ you can add the database - it should immediately come up with ‘Scanned tracks 0 (audio 0, video 0) Progressing’ and increment every 200 tracks as it updates.

Hopefully this works for you?

@ROSELOA please look into this bug based on my findings above.

Unfortunately, same result. Thanks for all your efforts @Woorlord. This is just crazy and unacceptable for an expensive piece of hardware. Rose Team needs to address this @roseloa. Apparently this has been an issue for a year and a half given the dates of the earlier postings.

Hello All,

I have been watching this thread and I’m trying to understand what is happening along with the overall purpose of using the NAS devices tied to the Rose device.

Can someone please explain the purpose and rationale for connecting the external NAS?

Is it because you dont want to go through the trouble of adding the music to the SSD option on the Rose device given that it is already stored in the NAS device you are trying to connect?

Sorry for my question. Just trying to educate myself.

Robert

Yes @Woorlord, I really appreciate your efforts trying to help us out. I tried this sequence of events before as well and sadly the result is still the same for me. It just doesn’t scan the folders.

We invested in NAS servers already and are running Roon on our servers as well. Instead of now also putting music on a SSD (and paying for the SSD drives) inside the hifirose, we just want to utilize what we already own. SSD drives would be a duplication of storage space. Plus, any file stored on a NAS is somewhat protected through various redundancy options.

@hififan, Thank you for explaining. I kind of thought that was the case but didn’t want to assume. So now the Roon I have heard of a lot but have not ventured down that road yet. I have a Rose 250 so I am wondering if it is something to do and what are the benefits?

Thanks again, I have research to do I guess on Roon.

Robert

This is weird it is not working for you.

What I think I established is that the HiFi RoseConnect Apps (MacOS) seemed to mess-up the NAS account access and hence any further access to your NAS is then compromised somehow - you can navigate prospective folders but not access the actual data. The NAS logs we shared confirm this. Whatever you do after this point from anywhere relating to the NAS will not work.

I managed to recover from this by deleting any previous NAS credentials, (I did not mention previously, I also changed the ‘rose’ account NAS password to force a change), remove any network folders and a cold boot of the RS150B. Then only setup & connect to the NAS via the RS150B touch screen front panel and then it worked once more for me.

@ROSELOA is there any way we can see logs of what is going on during this NAS connection process from the Rose side?

For what its worth, I’m using a Windows 10 based computer. But that should not matter and of course the Synology is Linux based. I had followed your tasks and deleted everything, shut down and started the Rose unit and reloaded the NAS music folder. The only difference is that I never get the “Progressing” message, only the 0 scanned tracks. The Rose seems to be able access the Metadata as it sees the artists and songs but not the actual .wav or .flac files. Once again I really appreciate your time and effort helping all of us with this issue.

If I cannot get this to work I will return the unit. Sad because everything else seems to work nicely.

Just curious, have you tried to contact the team for the NAS device to see if the have options to help connect or troubleshoot this?

Sometimes it takes both sides to work together to get things straight.

E.g. I have a t-mobile 5G gateway and it is connected to an EERO gateway/router and I had to get in touch with them to help sort out the proper configuration to ensure the end points and main gateway were not constantly colliding.