Transformer noise from RS150B

Hi, I have an 11 month old RS150b and have noticed that the unit is emitting more and more transformer noise (mechanical hum, not electrical) over time when in use.

There is now a constant audible humming from the unit which can clearly be heard from my listening position.

Does anyone else suffer with transformer hum on their unit?

No, my unit doesn’t hum, I have like 2 months. So I hope I won’t get the HUM. Did you update the software?
Or change out voltage. Sometimes that works.

try reversing the power cable plug

possibly reversed phase and zero

disconnecting the ground also helps

Thanks for the suggestion I’ve had the issue with software 4.1 and 4.2 which was just released.

I am in the UK so 230v/50hz mains and it’s a UK spec RS150.

I suspect its a faulty component.

Thanks for suggestions I use UK 3 pin mains wall socket and its IEC on the unit so I’m unable to swap cable around.

I’ve tried the supplied mains cable and the Shunyata Research mains cable that I normally use, but makes no difference.

I’ve done numerous reboots and checked tightness of screws on the underside.

I think there is a faulty component inside. I’m in contact with the UK distributor.

Hello,

1. Do you hear the hum noise from the RS150B unit? Or via speaker?
  2. Do you hear the hum noise even when you’re playing nothing?

The humming/buzzing is mechanical noise from the power supply, i.e. it comes directly from the unit not electrical noise through the speakers.

Yes the noise is continuous when the unit is switched on.

Hello,

It is best to send it to your distributor for a closer inspection.
Just before you send it to your distributor, would check one more thing?

1. Have you changed your amplifier or any other audio system recently?
  2. When everything is connected but RS150B is turn OFF(not standby mode), do you hear the same noise?

Hi,

I’m already corresponding with my distributor and came to the forum to see if anyone else had the same issue.

I’ve disconnected everything and switched off other components in my system and detected no change in the humming.

Rgds

Thank you NickH,
Would you check the questions that I edited above?

Hi,

My amplifier was bought around the same time as the RS150 (noting that the humming has only started in the last couple of months). I do use an aftermarket mains cable (Shunyata Research) but this also was bought around the same time as the RS150. I have switched back to the supplied mains cable but this made no impact on the humming.

I don’t get the humming in either standby or when the unit is fully powered off (i.e. disconnected from the mains).

I have sent a recording of the noise to the distributor.

I would try to shutdown the analog stage as well. See if the hum is still there. Also if you are able to break the ground.

I have switched the analogue outputs on and off with no effect.

The humming is temperature dependent and gets worse as the unit gets up to full operating temperature.

If if press various parts of the steel chassis plate I can, to some degree, suppress the humming.

Hello NickH,

Thank you for your detailed information.
Hum noise sometimes occurs due to compatibility issues between devices, so I asked the questions.
Better get some help from your distributor.

Thank you again.

Good luck! hope the hum gets resolved asap. Having issues like this is no fun.

hi

I use a integrated amplifier connected to Rose RS150
When the amplifier alone turned on no humming sound could be heard through the speakers.

But when I turn on the RS 150 I can hear humming sound coming from the speakers When no music is playing.

The output level on the RS 150 9.0Vrms balance
Output level on RS 150 B 6.5Vrms balance.

yes my reseller told me it was compatibility I’ve tried three different manufacturers integrated amplifiers still the same humming noise.

It seems like when you buy a hi-fi Rose product you are literally on your own supposedly mine has been with the distributor for at least seven weeks No fault found so I’m told.

I am extremely disappointed with Hi Fi. Rose products.

1 Like

@Edward57 Did you check your interlinks? I know the hum can be from balanced interlinks that are defective. Or a pin out problem.

yes I have I have tried new XLR Cable and also RCA cable still the same humming noise still there.

It’s a fault with the RS 150. My reseller tried many different leads also. They know it’s a fault but they don’t want to do anything about it they put it down to incompatibility issues with your amplifier but on our amplifier no humming sound is heard.

The reseller wants me to buy a new amplifier.