Various Artists albums listing on Rose Connect App

Hi, all albums correctly tagged under “Various Artists” (these are compilation albums, collections and similar) are properly displayed on both the Rose unit’s display and on the Rosedisk files, but - on the Rose Connect App - they show as by the last artist recorded on the album, making it really inconvenient and frustrating to search and browse albums on the App.

I have reported this many months ago, would you have an update on when you will eventually fix this?

Here’s an example:

1. A compilation album shows correctly as ‘Various Artists’ on the Rose’s main unit display:

1. And yet, when accessing/browsing on the Rose Connect App, these albums are not listed under ‘Various Artists’, but shown under the last Artist name:

1. The Artist name always correspond to the last artist in the album:

Dunno about other users here, but I have hundreds of ‘Various Artists’ albums which are properly tagged and correctly filed under ‘Various Artists’.

It’s a nightmare to search/browse these albums on the App as they are saved/shown incorrectly.

These albums show correctly on the Rose’s display but not on the App.

Would you know when this issue will be looked at and fixed by your software engineers?

thanks for your answer.

The file and play management are absolutely antique and for an expensive machine like the ROSE unacceptable, but they will not change it.

@alessandro
We apologize for any inconvenience caused.
First let’s talk about where you’re misunderstanding.

1. In the picture you sent, the “Album” in the RoseConnect app Rose device is not the same.
    The method below is the same path.
    RoseConnect app–>Music–>“Album”
    Rose device–>Music–>“Album” on top left

2. When I see the photos you’ve taken on the Rose device, in Music, you are looking at the Album through the Music Folder in the middle left.
    It is different from the RoseConnect app–>Music–>“Album”.
    Albums in the Music Folder appear as the folder name stored on the SSD or USB external hard drive you are using.
    There was also a Music folder function in the RoseConnect app, but it was deleted after various problems occurred.
    We plan to equalize the functions of RoseConnect app and Rose device in the future.

Lastly, the feature you requested will be reviewed by us again. When loading the album DB that contains various artists, the part where the artist name of the last track is displayed as the artist of the album should be modified.
We plan to modify the DB so that it can be displayed as Various Artists when there are more than 2 artists in one album.
But it’s not easy. We need to change the way we scan the current DB.
Until then, if you want to see the files stored on your SSD or USB external hard drive as they are, please follow the instructions below.
RoseConnect app–>Music–>Folder–>Your SSD or USB external hard drive

Thank you

1 Like

Hello, If the user can select “Album Artist” in the sorting options, the problem is solved. Since Rose only uses the “Artist” these problems arise. Best regards, Peter

1 Like

Thank you @ROSEHAN

Yes, you’re right - I can see ‘Various Artists’ in the Music Folder on the Rose’s main unit display.

I can also see the ‘Various Artists’ albums on the Folder option in the RoseConnect App.

My observations are just based on User Experience and looking at albums on the RoseConnect App that appear by the last artist as opposed to ‘Various’.

I also suspect users primarily access and control the Rose through the App.

I suppose that when browsing/searching through albums it’s easier and more user friendly to navigate on a page that looks like this:

Rather than browsing/searching looking at a page that looks like this:

And - nevertheless - user experience (as well as menu/operating options) on the Rose main unit should be the same as RoseConnect App.

Functions should be mirrored and be the same, regardless of how users access.

Nevertheless, I assume that most users access via the RoseConnect app, so I hope you guys will improve the user experience when it comes to being able to browse/choose albums as they are filed.

Let’s hope once again that - at some stage - this will be addressed.

thanks

2 Likes

@alessandro
I once again reached out to our software team for advice.

1. We are planning to modify the Rose device’s screen and RoseConnect app’s setting or display to be the same in the future.
    Functions will be mirrored and be the same, regardless of how users access.

2. In the album, the artist handles it by creating album_info views from the audio and album tables in the DB. In the current DB structure, it is difficult to automatically display Various Artists if there are multiple artists in the album.
    To support this, the DB schema must be changed, but it is currently difficult to support.

Thank you

1 Like

Thank you @ROSEHAN - I appreciate you asking Rose’s software teams.

My point is one of user experience, ease of access and enjoyment of one’s music collection.

I wonder if other people here have ‘Various Artists’ albums in their DBs and these appear with the last artist in the album list as the main Artist…

I have about 610 ‘Various Artists’ albums in my DB…

I thought that this was something relatively easy to fix but since your refer to changes necessary in the way the DB’s functions have been designed and that - therefore - must be ‘changed’, I fear this is something we will have to put up with for a long time…

For me the question is - why in all the world were those things not sorted before the release of the streamers??? They could have bought any streamer to look at! To proud to do so or simply to damn lazy???

Hi,

I wanted to ask you if the software team has thought about - eventually - fixing this.

Surely I cannot be the only Rose user who has compilation albums, film soundtracks or multiple artists releases on their music database connected to the Rose.

Any decent collection features many ‘Various Artists’ albums.

Albums that are correctly tagged as from ‘Various Artists’ in the file metadata show up on the Rose unit and App as authored by the last or another artist listed (please see previous posts).

It is so annoying not being able to access compilation albums as easily as it would be on other music systems, and yet for the Rose, this is not possible…

Will you be able to fix this or not?

1 Like

Hi @ROSEHAN, hope all is well with you.

Over one year has passed and I was wondering if you would kindly have any news on Rose’s system to recognise albums which are correctly tagged as ‘Various Artists’ (these are - once again - compilations, movie soundtracks and recordings made by multiple artists - there are a zillion of CDs/albums that fall into this category) and clearly display them - as such - in the Rose App or in the main unit screen - has any progress been made by your software team?

On another/parallel note, I am seeing people still struggling with CD rips, particularly when it comes to multiple albums (these are - once again - double or triple albums, boxsets, operas, re-issues, bonus discs, etc. - there are a zillion CDs/albums that fall into this category too…) - the latest user being @JordanAcoustics - this is clearly a Hi-Fi Rose CD Database Issue.

What holds Hi-Fi Rose from subscribing access to ALL the CD Databases available, just like any other free to use or else CD ripping software available on the market? When I load a double CD using any of the available CD ripping softwares, multiple CDs are recognised - correctly – right away with no hassle whatsoever. Not on the Rose.

Over and over again, we read about people not being able to see the CD info been recognised/picked correctly. @JordanAcoustics has a Joan Armatrading triple album that the Rose obviously reads as the same album and - therefore - all tracks are jumbled together in the same album folder. More mayhem is reported on other rips…

I first mentioned this in October 2022. I also remember reading that Hi-Fi Rose were committed to get this part of their offering work properly.

Any news on when that might - finally - happen?

No apology required, just a bit of honest feedback, perhaps?

Many thanks for your thoughts.

2 Likes

@alessandro

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.
Currently, I have not yet received a response from the software team regarding this matter.

So the latest on uor situation is this:

From 61 CD’s ripped:
24 all okay.
20 no artwork.
10 unknown.
6 multi cd sets, can only find under the “folder” setting and then not easy to play them? Some with artwork, some without.
1 all wrong meta data. ( James Galway is Chaka Khan!?).

@ROSEHAN
Clearly there is little confidence in pushing this unit out for this purpose (as amazing as the rest of it is), the CD ripping is quite poor after all this time.

We have customers that are not at all IT focused and just want to hear their music, noty do hours of editing on a laptop that cannot see the Rose on their network.
Any help to solve this database issue would improve confidence in this product tenfold.

Thank you.

@JordanAcoustics

We are continuously working to fix any issues that arise with ripping.

Please check the video in the link below before ripping.