Warning - Do not use DB-Rescan, lasts forever!

After endless rescan tests I can say that rescan on RS130 doesn’t work.

A new scan after DB- Init works constantly in 3 hours (music library with 83000 files including artwork), rescan lasts forever (I cancelled after 28 hours).

I tried everything, start rescan from RS130, from Rose Connect Android / iOS (wireless connected to network) and Rose Connect Windows (wired connected to network). Result always the same, endless scan.

My network is superfast, my NAS is superfast, my Windows PC / NAS is 10G connected. I have Smart-TV, SAT-Receiver, 3 Laptops, 4 Smartphones, Wallbox and some more connected to the network, around 80MB/sec wireless thruput on my network, backbone is 10G / 2.5G. Every of this connected devices has maximum possible speed - except HiFi Rose RS130 (regarding DB-Rescan).

@ROSEHAN @ROSELOA or anybody of Rose Staff
Could you please help, I bought a €4800 device from Rose…

@renderjoe

Hello, we are aware that many people are inquiring about the scanning speed. We are making efforts in various ways to improve it, but due to the limitations and structure of the system, it is not an easy problem to solve.
With current technology, the entire DB must be rescanned when a new album is added, but any modifications (additions/deletions) are reflected in the media library.
Re-scanning takes a little less time than scanning the database for the first time, but since the entire database is searched once, there is a problem in that it takes a long time for the added information to be reflected.
As you suggested, we will try to add a method to update only the parts that have been modified.

@ROSEHAN
Thank you for the (another, but identical) reply. I was asking for the endless rescan bug. You wrote „Re-scanning takes a little less time than scanning the database for the first time…“.

How would you explain that a first scan (DB Init, New Scan) needs 3 hours, but a rescan lasts forever (cancelled after 26 hours), same network, same music library. Rescan is the function you need all the time (first scan just once), so this counts!

I can do the rescan immediately after the first scan or later on, switch my device off in the meantime or not, start the rescan directly from the device (RS130) or from Rose Connect App (Android, iOS, Windows), nothing does matter, always the same result for rescan - endless duration (but my NAS has always some traffic on the network from Rose streamer, so it‘s working, but with archaic speed).

Please talk to your developer if a SW bug is known or if there is another workaround as always Init the DB to get a new first scan.

As a buyer of a € 4800 device I have the expectation to get maintenance for existing product failures and not only a statement „it is at it is“.

Thank you very much in advance!

1 Like

@ROSEHAN @ROSELOA
Any help for my endless rescan within my setup?

It doesn’t seem that endless rescan is the regular case for everybody (first scan 3 hours, rescan never ends - cancelled after 26 hours).

Hello,

I apologize about the issue with scanning speed. (Or never ending DB scan)

1. About the never ending DB Scan, is it the case for NAS DB scan? Or the scan never ends for USB/SSD scan as well?

2.Do you have an idea of approximately how many gigabytes of files you are trying to scan?

1. Have you checked the Media Library to see how many songs have been scanned so far? I’m trying to determine if the scanning process has completely stopped due to an error, or if it’s progressing at a very slow pace.
    (RS130 > Settings > System Settings > Media Library > Scanned Tracks (Audio ???, Video ???)

2. Can you tell me the ROSE ID of your RS130?
    (RS130 > Settings > System Info > ROSE ID)

3. In your case, the initial DB scan is completed in 3 hours but the never ending scan problem is the problem with ‘re-scan’, is it right?

Best Regards,

Old story:

1. Yes, it’s the case for NAS DB scan. I have no USB / SSD attached, all my music is on NAS.
  2. My music library has 4.08 TB (7346 folder, 85931 files). After DB-Scan I got 68745 scanned files (Audio 67300, Video 1445) within Rose Connect App.
  3. Same numbers as in 2. because the Rose App doesn’t show any progress during rescan (would be a great improvement for a further update).
  4. ROSE ID 0E69DE
  5. Yes, the first scan will always complete around 3 hours (with showing numbers of scanned file during progress, should be the same for rescan), only the rescan never ends.

Always execute a first scan is only a workaround, but not very user friendly.

Hopefully my answers will help so you can give me a useful advise.

@ROSELOA Any Updates from ROSE?

Joe, don’t expect to get any solution from Rose to the long rescan problem.
I has the same problem and took it up with Rose for 1.5 years ago. During this time I got the same answer that you got from Rose many times. I use a workaround or play from Folderview.

@stig That are bad news, but what I am assuming too. Can‘t understand why ROSE doesn’t prior this absolute basic functionality (this is a commodity for a streamer solution, the whole competition does is MUCH, MUCH better). But they will have their own thoughts, maybe they sell to much devices and want to moderate their sales - sorry, this is sarcastic, but I have no words.

So I will enjoy the excellent sound quality of my RS130 and ROON as control software - and forget ROSE connect…

I gave you all answers your are asking for…

We hope, or rather I hope so. that with the new year it will be possible to add a new album to the library without carrying out a complete re-scan of the entire database

@Flash May I ask you if you are staff of ROSE that you can give this assumption?

@renderjoe Maybe not! I would have worked hard to solve this problem that has been going on for too long. But I’m confident and waiting.

@ROSEHAN Any Updates from ROSE?
I gave you ROSELOA all answers he was asking for…

1 Like

Hello,

I apologize for late reply.
We are doing some tests internally, but as you know, it takes long time to test DB scan.
I will let you know again when the test is completed.

@ROSELOA Thank you for reply. If you need more information or some more validation on my setup please ask.

Just to add a data point, rescanning my modest, 400ish album, library took over an hour. Doing the same with LMS takes around a minute. The implication being this isn’t a database size issue.

1 Like