Which SSD drive is recommended?

I would like to purchase a 4TB internal SSD drive for the Rose 150. What brand(s) are recommended for

• Reliability

• Audio performance

Thank you!
Jeff

Thank you very much Alessandro

Alessandro, were you able to enable the SMB share on the Rose? I get an error after i attempt to turn on, add a username, pwd and change the Workgroup to my own internal networks name. I get “Failed SMB set” and never can access the Internal drive from my network.

Hi Jeff @taystnotes

I have had no problems letting my Mac connect to the Rose and I can see all my directory of Music files (primarily CDs ripped to the Rose) on it - I remember setting the SMB share at the outset and - since then - I didn’t have to do much more. I also remember seeing a number of posts specifically on this topic here, if you search for it wasn’t long ago and in that thread there were detailed instructions on how to make this work.

I have all sorts of problems with the data management and visualization of the ripped CDs files and its metadata/info on the Rose and on the App, but that’s another story…!

The only part that didn’t work as you stated is “…make an account.”

I had to use a username “rose” to set. I could not create a username of my own choosing.

Yes, that’s a tricky bit that hasn’t been explained properly. You must use the same username you use on the Rose to connect the SSD to your Mac (if it’s a Mac you’re using). So, use the same username you used when you first set up the Rose. Everything else will then connect easily.

1 Like

Hello! Is it possible to use 8Tb SDD with Rose 150b? That would really be wonderful …

Thanks

Hello @bsauvage

We support SSDs up to 4TB. However, we do use SSDs with larger capacities for testing.
I can’t say with certainty that an 8TB SSD will work.

Thank you

thanks, got a 4TB and working great

1 Like

Samsung EVO SSDs use TLC NAND (3 bits per cell) while the QVO line uses QLC (4 bits per cell). For reference, Samsung Pro SSDs are made with MLC NAND (2 bits per cell), but below, we will focus on the differences between the consumer alternatives EVO and QVO.

The lifespan of an SSD is measured in terabytes written (TBW), which tells you how many terabytes of data you can write to the SSD before it reaches the end of its lifespan and eventually breaks down.

You probably guessed by now that QVO drives generally offer a shorter lifespan than their EVO counterparts due to the fact that it writes four bits per cell.

There will be no difference in the performance of the R150 if you use a QVO or EVO

1 Like

Just FYI, I am using a Western Digital 1 TB Blue SA510 SSD in my 150B and so far no issues. I appreciate how really easy it is to install. However, getting my music on it required two calls to Crutchfield customer support after being unable to transfer digital audio files from my laptop without assistance.

Transferring files music files to an SSD installed in a Rose product is definitely much harder than it should be.