DLNA does not work

On my RS250 I try to connect to a NAS drive via Rose Connect iOS:
Music->Folder->Network->(List of names of my NAS servers)
The app does find my NAS drives and offers them in the list. When I tap on a name I am prompted with login credentials. Why? DLNA does not require credentials.

Thanks
Peter

Hello,

Is it a public login? (guest account?)

RoseConnectPremium APP → just touch confirm.
On ROSE device, check the public and confirm.

Hi,

in both cases (App->confirm, RS250->public->confirm) I get a network error. I do not understand why I have to login - DLNA does not have accounts. My NAS DLNA is publicly browsable and works without login from all my other devices.

Regards
Peter

@peja
I think it is not your problem, but is the HIFIROSE issue. I find the officiall website is saying DLNA service is supported but the below link say not supported.

https://community.roseaudio.kr/t/please-add-upnp/2699

In fact, it also has other bugs and this forum’s HIFIROSE guy saying it is a feature and will not including it into the ROSE OS, i.e. when you try to play DSD file the VU meter will just point to the MAX and will not move or just move very little!!!

I am asking does this guy representing the official HIFIROSE if so I will return my RS150B to the official dealer and request a refund!

Hello @Paul.LKW

Yes, I do work for the official Hi-Fi Rose.
I apologize for any confusion with the answer.

Thank you

Hi @ROSEHAN
I just created a DLNA server but could not see it by the RS150B, I try it could be connected with my LG and Samsung TV and my mobile phone DLNA player but doesn’t work in the RS150B, how come?
OK, then what is the official procedure to connect to a DLNA server (I mean RS150B as a client not acting as server)?

Hello @Paul.LKW

For the current RS150B_DLNA
It supports only the Media Renderer (DMR) function that can play content from the server.
The Media Server (DMS) function that stores and runs the content to be actually shared is not supported.

Thank you

With HiFi Rose (I have an RS 130) acting as a Media Renderer (DMR) I believe that means that the RS 130 will find a DLNA Digital Media Server (DMS) provided they are both located on the same network.
I also see that Audirvāna lists HiFi Rose as a device that will act as a DMR with it acting as DMS. So, when I install Audirvāna and the RS 130 on the same network the RS 130 should see the Audirvāna automatically and act as a DMR for the DMS.

When I had my prior Streamer, a Cambridge CXN-V2 the DLNA function worked exactly this way by a) displaying all DMS’s on the network and allowing you to pick one and b) once a DMS was picked, displaying the content on that DMS ie, music files for you to pick and play on the CXN-V2 acting as a DMR.

My questions:

1. Why doesn’t the RS 130 display some indication that it has found and is connecting to a DLNA server on the network? Am I missing something?
  2. Once there is some sort of confirmation that a DLNA server is found, how does one select “see” and “play” the content from the Audirvāna DMS on the RS 130? I see no way to do this.
    I see that others have made this work partially by having a third party program but this should not be necessary. The only option I see with the Rose Software is to “Run the DLNA software” or not. Where are the rest of the necessary choices to select a DMS and then select and play the DMS content?

Is it possible that the HiFi Rose is a DLNA Renderer ONLY and does not act as a controller as well? This would seem very odd because, if so, it makes the renderer function almost useless.

Please help me understand exactly how the DLNA program on HiFi Rose works as a DMR and how to play music from the DMS through it.

StandardModel

1 Like

Roseloa,

I don’t think I’ve had a response to my question restated below.

StandardModel

3d

With HiFi Rose (I have an RS 130) acting as a Media Renderer (DMR) I believe that means that the RS 130 will find a DLNA Digital Media Server (DMS) provided they are both located on the same network.
I also see that Audirvāna lists HiFi Rose as a device that will act as a DMR with it acting as DMS. So, when I install Audirvāna and the RS 130 on the same network the RS 130 should see the Audirvāna automatically and act as a DMR for the DMS.

When I had my prior Streamer, a Cambridge CXN-V2 the DLNA function worked exactly this way by a) displaying all DMS’s on the network and allowing you to pick one and b) once a DMS was picked, displaying the content on that DMS ie, music files for you to pick and play on the CXN-V2 acting as a DMR.

My questions:

1. Why doesn’t the RS 130 display some indication that it has found and is connecting to a DLNA server on the network? Am I missing something?
  2. Once there is some sort of confirmation that a DLNA server is found, how does one select “see” and “play” the content from the Audirvāna DMS on the RS 130? I see no way to do this.
    I see that others have made this work partially by having a third party program but this should not be necessary. The only option I see with the Rose Software is to “Run the DLNA software” or not. Where are the rest of the necessary choices to select a DMS and then select and play the DMS content?

Is it possible that the HiFi Rose is a DLNA Renderer ONLY and does not act as a controller as well? This would seem very odd because, if so, it makes the renderer function almost useless.

Please help me understand exactly how the DLNA program on HiFi Rose works as a DMR and how to play music from the DMS through it.

StandardModel

1 Like

I’d like to see this answered, too.

If only HiFi Rose could do this? - had many good years with my Cambridge Audio CXN-V2 before moving to the RS150B - lots of potential but just not delivering.

The Cambridge Audio StreamMagic App was not great at the start but they had a Beta test programme on iOS which I was part of and after 12 months of development the App was pretty bullet proof through this testing. Incremental Beta releases were made along the way, and tested before releasing to the general market. You could decide which version to use, Beta or current market release.

Hi,

If I understand your question correctly, I will explain using my rig setup.
I am using a Samsung phone as my controller. Music is stored on a Synology NAS.
I collate the music files by folder e.g. Genre>Artist>Album.
I also have the RS130.
Opening the Rose app, I go to “music’ on the bottom of my screen.
From there I scroll along on the top to 'Folder”
The app is searching for the database on the lan.
It then shows “network” options.
I select “network” and then my NAS location.
Thats it. I hope this helps.

Hi Kitwalker,

When you say you are using “a Samsung phone as my controller”, what program are you running on the Samsung phone which is acting as the controller for the DLNA?
Would I be correct in assuming that it is RoseConnect?

TIA.

StandardModel

Where does DLNA come into play here?

BorisM,

It doesn’t. You’re correct. It however is true that the network discovery is easier on the RoseConnect app than on the device itself.

DLNA is a service as we all know to discover and map files on another network and keep track of them. It’s a far cry from merely logging in to a network.

StandardModel

Strictly speaking, it’s a specification for using digital media (catalog and playback) on the same internal network. Media may or may not be in files, it’s really yhe question of the media server implementation.

I don’t normally use DLNA (Roon is better for music, IMHO) but I just tested it. Turned DLNA service on on one of the Roses, started Audio Station on my NAS, found the first track hat came up, and Audio Station offered to play it to Rose. Started it, and eventually it came out on the Rose, with cover art, VU meters, and everything.

So I think we can safely conclude that Rose (the device) is, currently, a DMR only. You can push content from a DLNA server to it, and it seems to work just fine, but neither the device nor Rose Connect has DMC functionality to browse and control playback.

Adding DMC functions to Rose Connect should be doable, those things are dime a dozen. Making Rose into a full-featured DMP may or may not be easy. Since it can run VLC, it i possible that all that’s needed is exposing VLC’s UI in a way that works within Rose interface…

But DLNA works.

Hi,

Yes, the answer relates to using the Rose HiFi app. Personally I find the app not intuitively friendly. I have just installed emby to trial. So far so good.

Which sounds about right as the only thing that Rose Connect does that is related to DLNA is allowing you to turn it in or off on the Rose device. Emby should work.

My first choice is to continue using the Synology DS mobile app, DS Audio, which I have used for years. Now when using that app I cant queue tracks meaning the first track in the queue plays, and then stops. It is only an issue with the RS130 as it works fine on other DLNA devices.

I haven’t tried multiple tracks (I use Roon for that) but I would probably raise it with Synology as well, and maybe try their Media Server or similar DLNA DMS (Emby, Minim…) – there is a slight chance that the problem is on that end.

DS Audio / Audio Station is enough of a DMS/DMC to play at least a single track to Rose (so at least we know that DLNA does in fact work) but it is not really a full-featured DMS, Synology positions the Media Server package for that (or lets you grab Emby, Minim or Plex from the Package Center) so the fault, such as it is, might lie with either product…