Low/no Volume on Start

. I’m continuing to have issues with power up. Everything comes on as it’s supposed to, but there is low or no volume when trying to play from Tidal. I have to go to the control panel and restart, then it works fine. I don’t mind doing this occasionally, but having to do it repeatedly seems like something that Rose needs to address.

Thank you.

@gauchocat

Sorry for the late reply as we participated in an audio show in Korea last week.

I have a few questions regarding this issue.

1. What do you play with when you play Tidal music? For example, are you playing through the Rose Connect app or Rose device or Roon?
  2. Do only Tidal music sources have such symptoms?
  3. The Rose device does not have a control panel. Are you using the PC RoseConnect app?
  4. Log out of your Tidal account registered to your Rose device and log in again.
    Rose device–>Tidal–> Human button at the bottom left–>Settings–>Log out and log in

Thank you

@ROSEHAN I have the same issue every now and then but its not Tidal specific related, all playing sources are on a very low volume when it occurs. A reboot fixes the problem. I will try to narrow down what triggers it.

I use the Rose Connect app, doesn’t matter if I use the app on a iPhone,IPad or PC.
The Hifi Rose is connected through the analog balanced outputs with a fixed voltage of 4000 mv.

1 Like

Had this on one occasion ‘low volume’, within first week of ownership of RS150B, thought it was a one off glitch or user error. To resolve I reselected the RCA output level and set to the highest value - as it had been set previously. I do not use the volume control of the unit - have output level fixed. Can’t remember the source, (TIDAL or SSD?), but I was selecting a track through the front panel of the Rose not from the App.

Will monitor to see if it comes back.

I have the same problem on my Rose RS 250. Almost every time when the device is coming out of standby.
I listen music via Qobuz and music stored on the NAS.
When this problem occurs I switch the output setting to 500mv and then apply. Then I switch it back to my normal setting of 100mv and it works fine again.
But this shouldn’t happen. This problem occurs since 6 months or so.

@gauchocat @jvhooijdonk @Woorlord @Hen3

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

The symptom appears to be a software problem, not a hardware problem. We know that similar symptoms appeared on devices with fixed values ​​set in the Proout level settings.

I have a few questions for you.

1. Please tell me the model name of Rose device you are using.

2. Please explain the environment in which Rose equipment is used.
    → Please let us know if you are using an external DAC (USB connection or coaxial/optical, etc.)
    → Please let me know if AMP is used

3. Please let me know if you use software volume.

4. Does the volume decrease occur simultaneously and equally for all sources (music, rosetube, radio, etc.)?

5. Is the volume not adjustable when the problem occurs? (Fixed at a small volume and unable to adjust the volume)
    Or is it a case where the volume is adjusted but the maximum volume is reduced?

6. Do you set and use a fixed value in the preout level setting?

Thank you

@ROSEHAN thanks for your reply, see my answers below:

• Please tell me the model name of Rose device you are using.

RS150B

• Please explain the environment in which Rose equipment is used.
    → Please let us know if you are using an external DAC (USB connection or coaxial/optical, etc.)

HiFi Rose is connected via balanced output on a McIntosh MA7200.

• Please let me know if you use software volume.

No, all fixed

• Does the volume decrease occur simultaneously and equally for all sources (music, rosetube, radio, etc.)?

Yes all sources are affected at that point.

• Is the volume not adjustable when the problem occurs? (Fixed at a small volume and unable to adjust the volume)

The volume is fixed at a low volume when it occurs

• Do you set and use a fixed value in the preout level setting?

Fixed volume at 4000mv.

1. I have a Rose RS250 (first model)

2. I’m not using an external DAC and I have connected the Rose via analog RCA cables with an AMP.

3. I’m not using software volume

4. I don’t listen to the radio or use rosetube, so I don’t know if it occurs also with those options. I listen to music via Qobuz and music stored on an external NAS. It mostly happens when the Rose is coming out of standby and I listen to Qobuz.

5. When it occurs I can change the volume on the AMP, but the volume doesn’t increase as much as normal. I don’t use the volume control on the Rose.

6. I use a fixed value in the preout level settings. I use the lowest value 100mv. The sound is way too loud with a higher value. This has to do with the specifications of the amp.

I have had this happen twice now in the month or so I’ve owned my RS250.

I’ve only had this happen when using Roon, as I use that 99% of the time. I occasionally use RoseTube, but have not used it enough to have the problem occur.

I use the RS250 RCA outputs set at a fixed 2v output level into my integrated amp. If I turn the amp volume WAY up I can hear music very quietly.

Rebooting the RS250 with the power button has always solved the issue, so far.

Hopefully this is a software glitch that can be resolved.

@Woorlord @Hen3 @Mantro @gauchocat

We are very sorry for the inconvenience caused.
We will fix the symptom and apply it in the next update.

Thank you

1 Like

Hello @Rosehan.
Will the software update also be applied to the RS520 ?
I recently purchased the RS520 to replace a 12 years old Naim Uniti which had a power output of 50 watts per channel into 8 ohms / 90 watts per channel into 4 ohms. My loudspeakers are Quad S4, with a nominal impedance of 6 ohms, sensitivity is 88db ( 2.83V @ 1M ) with recommended amplifier power of 40watts - 200 watts.
The Uniti could drive the speakers to much higher volume levels than the RS520, which I find surprising when comparing the respective power outputs of the two amplifiers.
I listen to Tidal and RoseRadio. Tidal volume, in particular is very low. I have increased the “ volume settings for each source” from -5db to 0db for both Tidal and Rose Radio. This has brought a small increase in volume but still not enough in my opinion.
This is the only real criticism I have of my RS520. It produces great sound and has great functionality as well. If the low volume issue could be fixed it would make me even happier !
I would appreciate your comments. Thank you.

Hello All, same thing happened coming out of standby:

1. RS250, latest firmware 4.5.05
    → Please let us know if you are using an external DAC (USB connection or coaxial/optical, etc.) No
    → Please let me know if AMP is used Yes
  3. Please let me know if you use software volume No
  4. Does the volume decrease occur simultaneously and equally for all sources (music, rosetube, radio, etc.)? I only use Tidal
  5. Is the volume not adjustable when the problem occurs? (Fixed at a small volume and unable to adjust the volume) Volume is near its max to hear music, volume control on external preamplifier
  6. Do you set and use a fixed value in the preout level setting? Yes, fixed value for preout

Happened this morning on the latest software 4.6.07 (previously 4.5.07) including Firmware upgrade from 3144 to 3147.

RS150B
    RCA outputs to Amp
    No
  4. Does the volume decrease occur simultaneously and equally for all sources (music, rosetube, radio, etc.)?
    Was streaming from TIDAL, did not check other sources
  5. Is the volume not adjustable when the problem occurs? (Fixed at a small volume and unable to adjust the volume)
    Have fixed volume output on RS150B. Increased my Amp volume to maximum and could just hear the track.
    Fixed pre-out to 6500mV

Going to shutdown the RS150B and reboot from power off as not done this since software upgrade.

@ROSEHAN Same problem happened again today as per yesterday, have investigated further and expanded the findings below:

Took the RS150B out of standby using the iPhone APP.

RS150B
    RCA outputs to Amp
    No
    Volume is very low for all sources at the same low level, Music (off internal SSD), TiDAL, RoseTube & Rose Radio. Using the front panel ‘Mute’ button mutes the audio and when ‘un-muted’ returns to low level. Front panel volume + & - has no effect as have fixed pre-out level.
    Have fixed volume output on RS150B. Increased my Amp volume to maximum (+16.5dB) and could just hear the track. The music plays at a very very low level and only just be heard at maximum amp volume.
  6. Do you set and use a fixed value in the pre-out level setting?
    Fixed pre-out to '6500mV (unbalanced 2200mV)'

This is getting very annoying now. Was this bug meant to be fixed in the very latest software release 4.6.07, if not when is it to be fixed please?

Same here on latest software 4.6.07 (previously 4.5.07) including Firmware upgrade from 3144 to 3147.

2.RS150B*
    4.XLR to AMP
    6.No*
    8.Was streaming from TIDAL, did not check other sources*
    10.Have fixed volume output on RS150B. Increased my Amp volume to maximum and could just hear the track.*
    12.Fixed pre-out to 6500mV*

Dear users

We applied the 4.6.07 version after resolving the symptom, but it seems that we need to check it again and update it.
We will fix it and apply it as soon as possible.

Thank you

2 Likes

Checked today and brought the RS150B out of standby from the front panel and very low audio output again. I think the signal level from RCA to my amp is slightly lower than the minimum pre-out level that can be set, so lower than minimum ‘100mV (32mV Unbalanced)’ setting.

Happened again this morning so have temporarily set to using RS150B variable Volume output and set level to maximum. (Not using fixed pre-level output.)

@Woorlord

When the current software volume control function is turned on, this phenomenon appears.
Is the software volume control function turned on?
I was told that this issue would be resolved and updated this week.

Thank you

Version 4.7.01 installed this morning and pre-out levels set to previous 6500mV setting.
So hopefully this issue now sorted. @ROSEHAN thanks for the confirmation on fix.