Which Streamer/Transport has the best software

I have an RS 130.
I love it but the RoseConnect software although stable, could use improvements to make it more user friendly/configurable.

Which Streamer/Transport do you feel has the best user experience software?

StandardModel

Auralic is very good and user friendly (my own experience), Innuos seems to be also a good choice. Both vendors have a fokus on software and are future proofed.

1 Like

I have a RS130 and also an Innuos Zen. To me the Innuos “Sense” app is better overall vs. Rose Connect but not much, and there are some things I like better about Rose, example you can select what happens when you tap a song in Rose (empty the queue and play now, add to end of queue, play next, etc.) and with Sense there is no option it just empties the queue and plays the song. Not good when friends are over and everyone has put songs they wish to hear in the queue (happens every time :slight_smile: Also in Rose the queue is always accessible immediately on the right of the screen, and with Sense you need to go to Now Playing and then swipe left to see the queue. Not a big deal but the apps are so similar it is things like that that are the difference.
But really neither app makes the user experience a reason to own one over the other because they are very similar.
I have also used Qobuz and WIIM apps, I have pretty much the same opinion about those.

Sebrof,

Thanks for that review. I have asked for the ability to play any song in the RoseConnect queue but this has not been implemented. Can you just click on a song you see in the Queue (not the first one) and play it in the Zen Sense?
Also, in Sense is there any ability to pick the playlist(s) which are integrated in the queue? For example, I probably have fifty playlists in Apple Music. Do RoseConnect and Sense just pick one playlist at random or all of them?
Another item is RoseTube. None of the menu items can be manipulated and there is no ability ro reorder items so that personal favorites are listed first. Same with Sense?

Thanks for your input.

StandardModel

Standalone Devices - Aurender has a good software.
EverSolo (just did a short period of test) is also better than Rose.

If you look to manage you music with playlist and everything - and be independent from any manufacturer, go with ROON.

“I have asked for the ability to play any song in the RoseConnect queue but this has not been implemented. Can you just click on a song you see in the Queue (not the first one) and play it in the Zen Sense?”
I can do that with Rose Connect. In other words, I pull the queue from the right and I see all the songs in the queue. If I tap a song it will play the queue beginning with the song I just tapped. This is using Rose Connect on an iPad.

“Also, in Sense is there any ability to pick the playlist(s) which are integrated in the queue? For example, I probably have fifty playlists in Apple Music. Do RoseConnect and Sense just pick one playlist at random or all of them?”
I don’t understand what you are asking.

“Another item is RoseTube. None of the menu items can be manipulated and there is no ability ro reorder items so that personal favorites are listed first. Same with Sense?”
There is no video with Sense except with Tidal and I don’t have a Tidal account, only Qobuz. But I will say that RoseTube is cumbersome to navigate.

Yes I absolutely agree. I used Roon for maybe 2 years and loved it, but several years ago when Innuos released their Sense app I switched because Sense was good enough, it was free, and it certainly sounded better than Roon. I am not one to change a fuse or say how much better the system sounds when I turn off the display…not saying people who do this are wrong, and maybe Roon has updated and now sounds as good or better, but at the time Sense definitely sounded better than Roon.
And by the way, myself and two of my friends (one friend has an Innuos) directly compared my Zen MkIII (USB) with the RS130 (AES) and all agreed the Rose sounded better, fuller and more natural.

It’s a surprise to me that Eversolo, a sub $1,000 DAC has better software than HiFi Rose which is considerably more expensive.

StandardModel

It is not surprising, Eversolo has much better software developers as ROSE and has understand, that good software is essential for a all in all experience of a HiFi product and is setting the priorities right. Most vendors have understood this, but not all…

This is US relevant but with the beautiful hardware and operating system crippled by the RoseConnect software, I feel like Evil Knievel jumping his motorcycle across the Grand Canyon and missing the other side by three feet.
So close.

StandardModel

99% agree. In the meantime I got used to the Rose Connect App, it is at least stable. But UI/ UX is a shame compared to competitors and the asked price. For my use case (large music library around 80k files) the DB rescan duration (around 30h) is unacceptable. I don’t think ROSE will ever catch up with the competition, because their focus is definitely not on software, it’s hardware and screen / touchscreen control.

What is the function of rescan? I have 13,000 files on an internal SSD and have never needed rescan but I have had no issues with it.
And standard model mentioned “crippled by the RoseConnect software…” I use my RS130 every day and I am rarely inconvenienced by RoseConnect, certainly not crippled. What issues are you having that you would say crippled?

FYI I use RoseConnect on an iPad, internal SSD (no NAS), Qobuz, Ethernet connected. Maybe you guys use the device differently (or maybe I’m just lucky :slight_smile: )

I understood, that it sounds a bit better as with Roon on the RS130.
But with the RS150 i did not found it better - more different maybe.
Played locally with the DAC, the Bass is a bit fattened up, but this is related to the AKM DAC Chip.

I’m used to Roon (Server and APP) and I can live with it with ease.
Maybe I will do a cross check, once my Dealer has a RS130 for DEMO.

Sebrof,

While you are certainly free to quibble with the use of the word crippled I think you would have to agree that there is a great disparity between the quality of the Hifi Rose hardware and component design versus the user software (RoseConnect). I have, however acknowledged that the RoseConnect software is stable and it is.

As I have said, it comes so close. Where are the problems? DLNA is only functional as an end point speaker. Most free DLNA programs find and catalog all music files on the same network and allow a user to select and play songs directly. Not RoseConnect.
RoseConnect won’t go out on its connected network and catalog, log into and play music stored on other drives. You have to specify the exact path and even then it’s quirky.

RoseConnect will not let a user organize his/her preferences for most menu items. I’d like my preferences to be first and the ability to include or exclude lists from others. RoseTube won’t let me put my selections on the opening page. I see things like K-Pop that are displayed first and I can’t get rid of them.

The user defined radio stations won’t permit station favicons.

RoseConnect won’t permit a user to simply click on a song in the Queue and play it (other than the first one). The Queue can’t be modified, only reversed or deleted. The decision trees are often illogical. I could go on and on but you get the idea. I can go all the way down to Korean Language characters in the English version and misspelled words. There are issues not only with the current features but look at the frequency of upgrades and paucity of new features implemented. Finally, show me the RoseConnect user manual. There isn’t one. Take a hard look at a sub $1,000 streamer like EverSolo and compare their software to RoseConnect. Eversolo wins. All that said, I am an owner and supporter of HiFi Rose. I want it to improve and to be the best. I’m hanging in there hoping the user software will at some point equal the quality of the hardware and the sound/video.

StandardModel

Yes it seems I misunderstood your use of the word cripple, I imagined you wanting to throw your iPad across the room :slight_smile:

I don’t use my Rose with DNLA so I don’t see any of those types of issues.

I have also noticed that there is no way to organize/sort many of the lists as you mentioned, agree that that is very inconvenient and seems like it would be an easy fix.

Regarding the queue, as I mentioned above I can select any song in the queue and tap it, that song will play and the queue will be played from that song and keep playing through the queue.
Also I can sort the queue songs (example I can move the 5th song to play next, I can move the next song in the queue to the end of the queue, or whatever), I can delete individual songs, etc. Again this is on an iPad, I’m not sure if you are using a different device and maybe that’s the issue??

I haven’t used the Eversolo software but I have used the ones I mentioned in my previous post and to me, the way I use these devices, there isn’t a lot of difference between them all.
My friends come over, I briefly describe how to find music, how to add songs to the queue,etc., and it’s all good. They’ve never complained or got confused. For reference, One friend uses Innuos and the other uses Roon in their systems.

If you ever add a new file to your internal SSD you have to do a rescan of your music library so that the new music is added to the Rose music library database, otherwise you wouldn’t find the new music with Rose Connect. Instead you have to navigate via Folder view directly to the new music files (then you have to know exactly where it’s located).

Main problem is that their is a massive difference in duration of the first scan from scratch and the 2nd, 3rd …. scan (rescan). The rescan is 10 times slower, in my case 30h vs 3h for a 80k music file library. Just for one added music album…

Sebrof,

Thank you for your thoughtful response. I haven’t been able to: "sort the queue songs (…example I can move the 5th song to play next, I can move the next song in the queue to the end of the queue, or whatever), I can delete individual songs, etc. "

Can you text search the Queue? For example can you search for a song named “Valentine” in the Queue by typing in the word? How are you searching the Queue? When you move songs in the Queue are you using a mouse drag and drop? Are you deleting songs by right mouse click?

TIA

StandardModel

Thanks renderjoe. I haven’t added music to my SSD which I’m sure is why I haven’t run into this issue. I believe I saw a post by the Rose team within the last day or so saying this would be addressed in Q4 2024…Ouch, that’s a long time.

Standardmodel, I only use RoseConnect with an iPad.

See the screenshot below. On the iPad the queue moves to the right to hide, or moves left to view (it is moved left in the screenshot). I can tap any song and it will play from that song and continue playing the next songs in the queue. The trash can icon allows me to delete what I want, the up/down icon allows me to move the songs, and I haven’t figured out what the 3rd icon (looks like a file folder??) is for.

So by your question (searching, etc.) it seems that RoseConnect is very different on your laptop vs. my iPad.

Sebrof,

It obviously works for you. I’ve asked Rosehan about this feature and he said it was on their list to add.
I have to learn more. I guess I’ll re-read the manual :grinning:

Just curious. Can you perform those same Queue functions on the Rose device itself that you can on an iPad?

StandardModel